Positioning of secondary tubes, how it relates to efficiancy. (secondary burn vids included :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nojo

Dec 22, 2009
Western/cent Mass
So on Napoleon stoves the Secondary tube runs right down the center of the firebox in a north/south position, back to front. Which seems like a good design that should introduce air and combust most of the gasses.

But I feel like the gases that are more on the edges wont ignite as they round the edge of the baffle.

Stove like the Englanders have several tubes across the fire East/West. And they have one right at the edge of the baffle with the air holes facing toward the glass.

my little stove has a similar setup and I can get the volatiles to ignite there in front as they pass the edge of the baffle. Otherwise they dont ignite under the baffle. I feel like this a much better design. If I stuff the firebox for example, theres not enough room for the secondary in the rear to do its job and the gasses get pushed to the front of the baffle. If i lower my primary intake if my stovetop temps are like 325+ you can see the smoke just turn into a blaze as it passes the secondary tube.

Do you think there is any substance to this?

Here is my little stove doing secondary burn. I got it used for cheap and I haven't painted it yet. will do in the spring :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFeZqOw8TaQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqFhOMiGICg

Well I think you meant Englander (AKA England Stove Works), but any who. You have some great secondaries going...rock on!

mikepinto65 said:
Well I think you meant Englander (AKA England Stove Works), but any who. You have some great secondaries going...rock on!

Yeah, fixed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.