Possible bad control board on Magnum Baby Countryside?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChandlerR

Minister of Fire
Jan 28, 2009
Hampton, NH
My stove, a 2007 American Energy System, Magnum Baby Countryside AC model, has been working flawlessly for the past three years.(Except for the snap switch last month) Last night, my wife came in to the bedroom around 11pm and said that the stove didn't turn down after the thermostat was satisfied. I have it set up so that when it calls for heat, the stove goes to the heat setting on the board preset by me. In most cases I have it set to five (out of 6) When it gets the room up to temp, it drops to the default setting of one. You can hear the fan slow down when this happens. Last night it didn't drop down. I went out to check it out and the first thing I did was to put the stove in manual. I was able to slow the feed rate but the fan stayed on high. I tried a hard reset (Hold the on/off button for 7 seconds) and also cutting the power to the board and holding the power button for 10 seconds but still no low fan. In the thermostat mode, the feed rate changes as it should. In manual mode, the feed rate changes with the heat setting as it should but the fan speed stays the same. Why? No power surges, (I have a surge protector) no other electrical issues I can think of. I've never heard of such an issue. Obviously, something has failed. I looked at the board for some identification but couldn't see any manufacturers name. Here's the website for the Tech bulletins..
http://www.americanenergysystems.com/owners-manuals.cfm

Look for the Baby Countryside 2007 manual. I'm hoping I don't have to replace the board!

Any ideas?

Chan

Chan,

I wished they would release some of the schematics on these boards. Thinking its a simple component replacement. But what? Fan stuck on high is probably the triac in the fan circuit. But the stat hi/lo being stuck may be a bit tough to desipher. Are you sure the stove's feed rate didn't reduce and just the fan stayed on high?

If you get stuck, Send me the board I'll take a look at it FOC! :) Probably have the parts in my electronics kit anywayz!

Hi Jay! Thanks for the reply. Now that I have run the stove for a few hours after work, everything seems to work fine other than the fan speed. After reading all of Snowy Rivers posts, I was thinking a triac too :) I appreciate the offer but that would mean being stoveless for a while and we just can't have that! If the consensus of everyone here is I have a board problem, then I will see if I can get a replacement. It really isn't a problem having a one speed fan, but it does make a difference in the noise.

Chan

Well, If you do get a new board? Don't pitch that one. Send it along and I'll patch it back together for you. Then you got a spare. Shipping charges is all it will cost ya! I got a new vacuum/heat station I'm dying to try out! :)

That's awesome! Thanks Jay! I will do that. I'll be in touch if and when it happens.. Still wondering if one of the stove guys has another idea?

Chan

I don't know about your particular stove, however some stoves will throw their room fans into high when the controller thinks the stove is in an over temperature situation.

It could be that you have a stuck hi-temp sensor.

Although why it doesn't dump the feed is a mystery. I never did like hi-temp systems that didn't lock out the feed until manually reset.

Good idea, Smokey! I hadn't thought of that. But you're right, if it were the high limit switch I would have lost the feed. ...another thing. When I push the on/off button, the fan goes into high mode too. The feed also stops just like the overheat switch. Must activate the same circuit in the board. We're making progress. :)

Chan

Thanks Jay. After watching this thing for a few days, I'm sure it's the triac or whatever controls the fan speed. These control boards are reasonable so I'll pick one up after Christmas....Although, if someone has any other ideas, I'm listening :)

Merry Christmas!

Chan

Status
Not open for further replies.