Post 3 - System Baseline Database

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tennman

Minister of Fire
Mar 4, 2009
Southern Tenn
So here's my idea. When we design and test new systems at our business we build simple spreadsheet databases. We define key system parameters, docment what they are, fire the test and document the results. If I could have gone to a simple spreadsheet that listed working parameters for my boiler used by all the guys here as a Baseline I would be much farther down the road. This has been sorta done in the EKO tuning sticky, but if a new EKO 60 user could have come here and viewed the sucessful settings used by the 20-30 regular posters here that newbie would have a baseline.

You guys would be better at defining the key parameters but a start that I'm currently wrestling with is:

Fan inleting opening setting
Primary opening setting
Secondary opening setting
% Fan
Pump gpm

Backup data:
Square footage
Distance from Boiler to Heat Exchanger

So I'd be glad to build a prototype Spreadsheet to collect this data, with the selfish goal of hopefully getting some data on the BioMass 60 from other users. BUT I don't know how to post the spreadsheet here. NoFossil's new database would be perfect for this, but it's not my intention to make work for someone else. I just don't know the web software games to do this. As a start I'd offer to update a spreadsheet using PMs with everyone's parameters. But I don't know how to put it somewhere here so ya'll can see it. If someone would tell me how to post a spreadsheet here so others can see it I build the prototype. I'll post the prototype database and ya'll can throw darts at it until we have something useable.

Let me know if I'm nuts. I've been told that before.

Tennman said:
So here's my idea. When we design and test new systems at our business we build simple spreadsheet databases. We define key system parameters, docment what they are, fire the test and document the results. If I could have gone to a simple spreadsheet that listed working parameters for my boiler used by all the guys here as a Baseline I would be much farther down the road. This has been sorta done in the EKO tuning sticky, but if a new EKO 60 user could have come here and viewed the sucessful settings used by the 20-30 regular posters here that newbie would have a baseline.

You guys would be better at defining the key parameters but a start that I'm currently wrestling with is:

Fan inleting opening setting
Primary opening setting
Secondary opening setting
% Fan
Pump gpm

Backup data:
Square footage
Distance from Boiler to Heat Exchanger

So I'd be glad to build a prototype Spreadsheet to collect this data, with the selfish goal of hopefully getting some data on the BioMass 60 from other users. BUT I don't know how to post the spreadsheet here. NoFossil's new database would be perfect for this, but it's not my intention to make work for someone else. I just don't know the web software games to do this. As a start I'd offer to update a spreadsheet using PMs with everyone's parameters. But I don't know how to put it somewhere here so ya'll can see it. If someone would tell me how to post a spreadsheet here so others can see it I build the prototype. I'll post the prototype database and ya'll can throw darts at it until we have something useable.

Let me know if I'm nuts. I've been told that before.
Some of the parameters are going to be different depending on just what adjustments a given unit offers, and how they are made... You also leave out a couple of critical ones - including the boiler out and return temps, and the losses across the loads, and any boiler-house lines for those installing outside the home..

As to posting - Craig has limited the types of files that can be attached to posts to graphics files, mostly for security reasons, but you have a lot more options to put stuff into articles in the Hearth Wiki...

(Also I think the database you are mentioning is WoodNotOil's , not NoFo's )

Gooserider

Yeah, your right. woodnotoil. As you suggest my parameter list was just a start. I'm sure a database would be a huge help to people starting uo like me. But I'm getting lots of response helping me get this thing going. So my personal need is less severe. I'll start it if there is interest, if not it'll die.

Status
Not open for further replies.