Post Oak struck by lightning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2011
central Texas
I have never tried to carve up and split a mature oak tree that was struck by lightning about two years ago. It is a big tree. The tree is down and there for the picking, but how much of a task am I taking on? I have heard tell that lightning make the wood oh so tough and eats up chains.

Thanks.

It would be worth the effort. May dull your chains, but I'm guessing that's a real nice score and dry!

I cut a big dead oak across the road from me and my chain dulled - only slightly more than normal. Nothing a quick file can't point up at refuel. Cut it up and post some pics.

Fear no G6. We've cut several of them and they are no different after being struck by lightning. If most trees have been dead for a while then yes, it is a bit harder on the chain. Just have to sharpen a bit more often is all but that is no big deal. Takes only a couple minutes to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.