Post up pics of your outdoor fireplace/firepit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xena

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2005
South Shore MA
Here's mine. My friends kids love to come over and toast marshmallows over it.
It's 3 foot in diameter. Inside has two layers of brick as well.

fire_pit.jpg

fun.jpg

Mine looks alot like a 55 gal drum with the top cut off. :)

I guess it was back in 1993, when we first bought our home...........

We have some close family friends who have a home in a neighboring town. The man of the house called one day and said that he was going to have all the bricks torn up from his walkway leading from the driveway to the back yard, and wanted to know if I would like any of the bricks.

I came over, picked up a bunch of these 20"L x 8"Wx 2"H bricks, figured out a pattern, and loaded them all up in the back of my Ford Ranger and took them home.

I re-created it at home as I had laid it out at his house. It has a complete brick base, and the rest are stacked as you see them here.

It has served us very well, for these many years, for those times when someone in the family gets the urge to roast a marshmallow, or just sit outside on a starlit summer's night, and keep their feet warm. (It ALSO serves as a GREAT location for dumping the ashes from my wood stove, after they have been contained in an Ash Can til they die.

-Soupy1957

Attachments

• Backyard Pit.jpg
    Backyard Pit.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,647
NATE379 said:
Mine looks alot like a 55 gal drum with the top cut off. :)

Mine is a 55 gallon drum cut in half. lol want to build a nice one for next year something i can cook on.

Here is ours, and the streak in the starlit sky above it is the International Space Station:
IMG_2845%20(720x1280).jpg

When we got the Fireview the old smoke dragon went outside.
IMG00198599x798.jpg

0115101648a.jpg

DSCN1286.jpg

flatbed - that is pretty cool with the lisgts on the woodpile!! I like it!

Here's mine at the farm. I found a few rock and pushed them up. I have been thinking of making a hood and finding a 12" pipe for a chimney to keep the smoke from blowing on me.

IMG_0606.jpg

Billy

we use this one all the time.....

Attachments

• 101_3498.jpg
    101_3498.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,495
quads said:
Here is ours, and the streak in the starlit sky above it is the International Space Station:

very nice quads.. what we do during the November deer hunt is.
all meet up at 'the meadow watch' after dark to have a pint and watch the space station go by :coolsmile:

not sure how to take that kinda pic? but will see what i can do next month or in a couple weeks during the moose hunt ;-)

Terry

loon said:
quads said:

all meet up at 'the meadow watch' after dark to have a pint and watch the space station go by :coolsmile:

not sure how to take that kinda pic? but will see what i can do next month or in a couple weeks during the moose hunt ;-)

Terry
I haven't been keeping track of the space station lately, but when I think of it, we enjoy watching it go over. To take that pic, I was experimenting with getting the fire and the stars in the same pic. Just then I saw the ISS coming and it happened to be right about where I was pointing the camera! How's that for luck!

Anyway, that picture was a 15 second exposure at about ISO 800, if that helps you to take a picture of it yourself.

We put a few rocks together too, with the bottom of a 55-gallon drum:

Attachments

• 1 5-15 Mama.jpg
    1 5-15 Mama.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,404
  • IMG_0408.jpg
    IMG_0408.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,297
quads said:
loon said:
quads said:

Terry
I haven't been keeping track of the space station lately, but when I think of it, we enjoy watching it go over. To take that pic, I was experimenting with getting the fire and the stars in the same pic. Just then I saw the ISS coming and it happened to be right about where I was pointing the camera! How's that for luck!

Anyway, that picture was a 15 second exposure at about ISO 800, if that helps you to take a picture of it yourself.

that was some luck for sure ;-)

not sure if my sony has that? but will check when i get home and will let you know.

i am not much into the fancy stuff with cameras, just auto focus and start shooting :cheese:

Terry

The only picture I've got right now. It is perfectly round and about 18" below grade. 4 foot diameter at the base for holding pallets and made of basalt rock from the quarry that doesn't pop at us. We also burn our cardboard in it. You can fit lots of people around a big pit but you need lots of wood.

Being below grade actually works really well except during the biggest rain storms it can get some water in the bottom.

Attachments

• pit.jpg
    pit.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,354
Something my wife brought home. I told her i was going to build one out of stone.... she said ya as soon as you finish all your other projects.... so my wife brought this one home :)

Attachments

• untitled-1.jpg
    untitled-1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,310
Well I'm just a simple guy from Maine . . . built mine from some nearby rocks on the rock wall.

Attachments

• 2010_09230022.jpg
    2010_09230022.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 1,065
  • 2010_09230023.jpg
    2010_09230023.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 1,068
AP,
I want to be there and see that in real life some time. It looks awesome!

Flatbedford said:
AP,
I want to be there and see that in real life some time. It looks awesome!
+1!

Ap, do you need to give the Fire Department a "heads up" call before you go though 2 cords in 24 hours?

oh man. haven't had a fire in two years. moved to jersey so my lady could care for her mom.
in maine now and buying a house in millinocket. should be in by the end of october.
nice big backyard. and yes, i will be burning again.

this is my pit from portland oregon.
don't let the apparent size fool you. things got really rowdy with the logs resting on those backstops.
i spent a lot of my time there taking down fig and apple trees that had been let go for decades.

158e85d0-b095-4d7f-a6e8-34ef8d516541

27839706-31f7-4420-873c-c09c2da406ad

Tub from an old washing machine. Gotta make sure is one of the old metal ones, tho'

DSCF4916.jpg

This time of year, Sundays are always great days, weatherwise, in a liberal conspiracy to force me to miss football or be trapped indoors. Once again, I overcome, with an extension cord and cable splitter.

DSCF4914.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.