Poulan Chainsaw problem. Any ideas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmichaud

I have a Poulan 221 chainsaw about 5 years old. It has been running fine until now. I prime it, pull the cord and it starts up. It runs for a little bit, maybe enough time to cut through a branch or two and them it shuts off as if it has run out of gas. So I prime it again pull the cord and it starts up. Runs for a little bit, the same as before and it shuts down. I will be the first to admit that I am not the best at fixing gasoline engines so I am looking for maybe some real easy fix it solutions before I take it into the shop. Any ideas?
And before anyone asks, there is fresh gas in the tank that has been mixed with the proper oil. Just to let you know that I cut about 2 cords a year with it. Thanks- Mike

My gut feeling is that the carburetor probably needs some gaskets and diaphragms. They're probably hard from sitting. Also, try filling the saw up and leaving it on it's side (with the bar flat against the table, as if you were putting gas in it). Leave it for a few minutes and see if any fuel leaks out. This will show you if you have a hole in the fuel line.

While you have it apart, take a look at the spark plug and try to peak inside the cylinder with a flashlight. Make sure the walls aren't scored up (vertical scoring).

If the saw has a fuel pick up in the tank fish it out with a wire and clean out the filter at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.