Poulan saw at lowes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

squib

Oct 17, 2008
east oh
Picked this up at lowes last week for $99.00.

Attachments

• DSCF3101.jpg
    DSCF3101.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 644
  • DSCF3102.jpg
    DSCF3102.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 639
  • DSCF3104.jpg
    DSCF3104.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 636
From what I've read around, it's selling for what it's worth. Hope you have better luck than all the others!

S

I bought a Poulan at Lowes last spring for around $100. Have cut several cords with it and used it to clear vacant lot. Has held up well so far, starts right up

Might not be to bad once you got rid of the 4" overlength bar... 42cc saw, at 3cc to the inch, should be running a 14" bar...

Gooserider

I hope it works our for you....

I hate to admit it but my first saw was a troybuilt.......................I still think it cut good for the $50 I invested in it....O and the $100 it cost to rebuild it...Get rid of the safety chain and see what she does!!!!My BIL got one 7 years ago and it just now gave up!!!He got his money out of it...

Good luck..............

I have the the Craftsman version of that saw. If the chain is sharp it will do what you want it to. It's pretty easy to start also.

Matt

I still have a 38cc poulan w/16" bar. I grab it every now and again and
thrash it for all it's worth, and in it's defense it does the job (usually), albeit vibrating like a freight train.

I'd say it was worth what I paid.

I bought a 33cc poulan (green) the night before Hurricane Issabell rolled into VA in 2003. It was the very last thing I thought I would need if things went bad. If it was just a false alarm I planned to take it back to the store. About $119 is what I paid for it. We had a few trees fall.....but the house only lost half a shingle. Neighbors didn't fare as well. lots of trees on houses, cars, blocking driveways of elderly neighbors, etc. I cut and cut and cut for several days with that little saw. Going thru trees that were easily 20 inches across. I had just put a used wood stove in my house so I welcomed the chance to get wood. Cut at least 15 cords that first year. Had about 9 cords of split wood from that storm seasoning for the next winter. Probably a good thing that my first saw was a small one like that because it let me get used to a saw without being overpowered. A couple years ago 3 maybe, I got a large Husky and the little poulan became a trimming, limbing saw. My brother in law borrowed it from me once and I actually saw him digging a ditch with it....yes...he actually used it to dig a long shallow ditch to burry a water line. It kept runing till this summer. I took it in to get repaired and they fixed it. But this weekend when I went to start it up it made some weird noise like a box of screws being shaken. Time to upgrade.

Be careful with it and that saw will work fine for you. The one thing I am not sure if it has is an inertial brake. Some people don't seem to care about them, but a kickback can change your life. Be safe.

The pro series is a but better than the wild thing / green standard saws they are not worth the gas that's in them.
They do come with a lot bigger bar than they should , get a 16 and use that most of the time and it should make a decent saw for most standard firewood needs.
The small ones do not have a brake it's just an "handle" or something I would never never ever buy or use a saw with out a chain brake ever , thanks I want to keep all my parts.

Tony H said:
The pro series is a but better than the wild thing / green standard saws they are not worth the gas that's in them.
They do come with a lot bigger bar than they should , get a 16 and use that most of the time and it should make a decent saw for most standard firewood needs.
The small ones do not have a brake it's just an "handle" or something I would never never ever buy or use a saw with out a chain brake ever , thanks I want to keep all my parts.

Sorry
All new poulans have a CHain Brake.

I know they have a chain brake but I was questioning if they had an inertial brake.

Monkey Wrench said:
Tony H said:

Sorry
All new poulans have a CHain Brake.

Glad to hear they did that mine was a 2005 year model.
I think anyone considering a saw try it out running and cutting the low price saws shake and vibrate a ton more than the Stihl, husky, dolmar units and it sure makes a difference if you cut a fair amount of wood. also run it for a few minutes get it hot and shut it off and see how it restarts. You will find in some situations you will be doing that a bunch of times and the poulans are not known to start well when hot (as of a few years ago)

I have an old craftsman that wont die
has been used and abused
and runs like a champ
just have to know its limits
and when you reach them
grab the husky
then again I burn pellets
they are really hard to hold when cutting

Right now I dont have the money to spend on a stihl or husky. I bought a poulan pro 260 (42 cc) about seven years ago to clear my 20 acres for a house. It still runs great even after being run over by a Case backhoe. It needs a new sprocket so in the meantime I'm using a poulan pro 33cc for all my cutting. I know that they may not be up to par with the other brands but for the price I paid I getting my moneys worth. Someday I'll upgrade. I agree with Gooserider about downsizing the bar though, she'll run a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.