Poulan Wild thing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingfisher

Apr 2, 2009
Michigan thumb
I'm thinking about getting a Poulan wild thing because I can't afford a Stihl at this time, Has anyone owned one and is it a decent saw for cutting firewood.

It'll work.

I have a Craftsman 42CC with the 18" bar. I believe it's the same saw. It's the easiest saw to start I've ever owned. I've cut many cords with this saw. Someday I'll throw a short bar on it and use it for limbing.

My MS 290 with the 16" bar is a better saw, but is heavier. I don't think you will be selling yourself short using the smaller saw for a few years. It'll just take you longer to process the wood.

Matt

My Brother-in-law has a 46cc Paulon.....still runs good....still cuts good
I have a 42cc Craftsman that was given to me about 8 years ago used. It servered me well, I've cut through many cords and a few grapple loads.
The saw is 10 years old........I've actually swapped parts from a 14" Paulon with my 18" Craftsman....air cleaner/pullcord housing/plug and a few other small things.
I have really tried to kill the saw, back in 2007 I cut about 8 cords of Hickory off a grapple load (blood, sweat and tears).......still runs. The key is having sharp chains, I have collected about 8 chains
for it and I would make sure that I sharpened 2-3 xtra........ Buy at least 2 xtra chains with your new saw and learn how to sharpen yourself.

WoodButcher

I cut for years with free saws that were PITA and would have been thrilled to have a new WT. They are ok as a homeowner occasional use. I have a $25 one as a root saw now.
That said, I would look for a used S or H $150 saw rather than put the money into a WT. Costs of chains, tools, spare parts, PPE are the same, so the extra cost for the saw as a proportion of the total outlay is not quite so bad.
A better saw will cut faster, longer, less vibration, easier handling, and generally more pleasureable experience.
but a craigs list cheap homewoner saw will also get it all done. Still wonderfull compared to a hand saw or axe.

I have the same saw it is the only saw I have ever owned. I bought mine the day after thanksgiving for $100 with a case,sharpner and a little oil and mix. It is the same saw but they probably skimped on a couple little things. The spring for the pull start un-wound last spring. I had it fixed for $12 at a local shop. Guy said it was because it was made cheaply, rarely saw it happen. The saw cuts like a dream though. The one thing I will emphasize is to get a good chain. I have a couple that I bought at home depot and even though they are a step up from what came with the saw, they just don't cut it. At a tag sale I picked up a 14" Poulan with a good Oregon chain that was like new for $10. The saw was dead but the bar and chain were like new. When cutting birch and maple the saw does well as is. It will cut at least for a tank full of gas between sharpening. Oak is a different story. I had a hard time getting through half a tank before cutting would slow to a crawl.

You can't beat the Wild Thing for value. It will be slower than a STihl or any other more powerful saw but for less than $200 equipped with extra chains etc, it is a throw away saw. I have close to 9 cords under my belt with the Poulan and it starts right up and as long as the chain is sharp, it rips through wood. The 24" Oak is a little slow, but so what! I work by myself and cut up a couple of pieces, roll/carry them to where I split, sharpen the saw (also acts as my break) and do it again. In a couple of hours I have a cord or two ready to be split. Good luck with whatever you decide to buy. I am probably going to get a Stihl 290 when the Poulan goes to chain saw heaven but it is better to learn on a lighter, cheaper saw.

The saw will cut. I made do with a pair of old Mac's that were smaller than the Wild Thing for a few years, then got a Dolmar 5100. Mac's sold for $40 at garage sale... Good for everyone. The dolmar was about $400 new. The second Dolmar/Makita 6300 was $275 used at Home Despot, an ex-rental saw. The Dolmar's cut well enough my buddies don't start their Wild Things, they just start loading and the like. Better saws are less tiring to me. Less vibration, time cutting. more loads at the end of the day.

ATB,
Mike P

kingfisher said:
I'm thinking about getting a Poulan wild thing because I can't afford a Stihl at this time, Has anyone owned one and is it a decent saw for cutting firewood.

Hey King, How much wood a year do you cut?

WB

Yeah in my stable I have a Poulan Woodshark and two Husky 142s. The same size saws. With the same guy sharpening the chains they both cut exactly the same. The big difference between them is vibration. Compared to the vibration of the lil Poulan it is like the Huskys aren't even running they are so smooth. And whether you realize it or not that vibration takes its toll in hours of bucking.

That said I still cut a lot with the lil Poulan. I just like the darn thing for some reason.

I bought a used one for $30 to give away as a gift. Pulled the muffler drilled the baffles and put some additional holes in the outside cover. Pulled the limiter tabs from the carb and retuned. Runs pretty well for what it is and sounds like a saw.

I wouldn't pay $150 for it new. Beg or borrow another $50 - $100 and buy a used stihl 029/290 in good running order.

I have a little green poulan and have cut well over 20 cords with the thing and acres of slash. I have cut wood so big that I had to bury the bar from both sides to get it done. The saw is slower than a more powerful one but is very quiet, dependable, and lightweight. I think that they are underrated saw. A sharp non-safety chain will make the saw much better for you.

They sell for like 100$. If you don't like it then you can resell it for a small loss.

I bought a Stihl 290 after the old poulan finally started getting an air leak in the fuel system and since I've broken the pull cord twice. I drive 50 miles to my woodlot so I wanted a new saw and since a 20" bar is nice I went for the Stihl. Man is it loud compared to the poulan but it cuts faster and should last forever. 400$ that I paid for the Stihl would buy 3 or more poulans, and if each poulan lasted for 5 years then it might be a wash.

If cash was tight I would not hesitate to get another poulan. There are some small and cheap Stihl saws too that compare to the poulans, you might consider them since the dealership will give you some service if needed.

this is my first year burning but I used to use a stihl when I cut cedar when I was younger and it was nice. I'm layed off so I'll have to go with the wild thing. I'm sure it will do the job. Not sure how many cord I'm gonna cut this year. I have a small mac that I use and it's really grunting lately.

BrotherBart said:
The big difference between them is vibration. Compared to the vibration of the lil Poulan it is like the Huskys aren't even running they are so smooth. And whether you realize it or not that vibration takes its toll in hours of bucking.

Hit the nail on the head! My dad has a few poulans layin around (including a wild thing) and sure they all cut fine. But the vibrations after an hr or so of cutting rediculous. I went from the poulan to my dads new stihl 180c and WOW what a difference. Felt like a knife through butter, it was that smooth.

My first saw was a poulan pro 295, 46cc, 20" bar. I used it for 7 years cutting about 30 cords, maybe more during that time. I was for the most part self taught on how to run and take for a chainsaw. ( not a major feat with the internet). If I knew then what I know now I'm sure that saw would still be running because "I didn't take very good care of it" is an understatement.

My first saw was a 36cc Pull-on purchased as a factory recon from HF... Ridiculously overbarred w/ the stock 16" bar that came on it, never did cut all that well, but I managed. Finally learned about proper bar sizing here and on Arboristsite, and put a 12" bar on it, and now it cuts great... Still shakes parts off on a regular business and puts my hands to sleep w/ every tank of gas, but it cuts well for such a cute little thing... But w/ a 12" bar, it's really only good for limbing and small stuff, and generally I just do that w/ my Dolmar 7900 since that is the saw I was already using to drop whatever it was, and it's easier to just keep going with it... (and it's fun doing 1" limbs with an 80cc saw - can you get the trigger all the way pulled before the branch is cut???)

Gooserider

My wife went out shopping yesterday and came home with a husqvarna 445 , what a surprise that was. Looks like a nice saw, Ill try it out today and see what it does.

Hey Kingfish

I have had a WT for about 7 years and it has been OK for small projects the only complaints I have are:

1. They are underpowered with the 18" bar, I recently put on a 14" bar with No anti kick back and WOW it is a entirely new saw!!

2. When cutting in warmer temps. mine gets a vapor lock once i shut it off and i need to let it sit in the shade and remove the gas cap, once it cools off it will start again. If i try to start it when it's locked all i do is flood the engine.

I recently purchased a Stihl 390 and have been very happy with it, it came with a 20" bar but i installed a 16" bar and that livened it up. Some people will say the 390 is a POS but i like it so far.

Good luck on your decision.

Holy sheet, your wife bought you a chainsaw! Mine and what I've read other guys write, is that they are hiding there latest chainsaw purchase from the wife.
Hold on to her. If My wife ever bought me a chainsaw it would be a wildthing, because it was so cute with the purple and green.

Ya she's a keeper, I was pretty shocked. She told me I should not have to ever buy anymore wood

kingfisher said:

I own one and won't own another. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person in the world, but I know how to read and follow a manual. Used to be able to get mine started (not anymore), but could never keep it running when it was sitting idle for a few seconds or a minute while I positioned some wood for the next cut. Just a PITA - - pull pull pull in between every cut.

Archie said:
kingfisher said:

I own one and won't own another. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person in the world, but I know how to read and follow a manual. Used to be able to get mine started (not anymore), but could never keep it running when it was sitting idle for a few seconds or a minute while I positioned some wood for the next cut. Just a PITA - - pull pull pull in between every cut.

That is why the correct spelling of the brand is "Pull-on" - as in what you spend a lot of your time doing with it... :coolsmirk:

Gooserider

Oh yes, miles above the Wild Thingy. Congrats on the new purchase and happy cutting.

Status
Not open for further replies.