power fail alarm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleAnthony

Jan 19, 2009
Southern Maine
Hi all,

Been trying to find an audible (LOUD) power fail alarm , plug-in model to 120vac household outlet.
This would be loud enough to wake us when power fails so we can go to the pellet stove
and open a window to run a fan because of smoke in the house.

Looked at Reliance brand but reviews say alarm is very quiet, like a clock alarm.

I looked at going down the ups /battery backup route, but power does not seem to go out often enough to justify.

Anyone got something like this ?
Thanks alot !

why is is filling the house with smoke when the power goes out> Do you have your outside air kit hooked up? IT should not be doing this so why not look at ways to prevent it from happening?

Been trying to find an audible (LOUD) power fail alarm , plug-in model to 120vac household outlet.
This would be loud enough to wake us when power fails so we can go to the pellet stove

Just a question ... Where are you getting the power to run the fan after you open the window.

blade050 said:

Just a question ... Where are you getting the power to run the fan after you open the window.

That is a GREAT question :lol: No power for stove means no power for fan or anything else.

I also have the same question about the smoke backing up into the house as Chris had above.....what type of exhaust set-up do you have on the stove? If it's a direct vent straight out with no vertical rise, I recommend adding 4-5' of vertical pipe outside that will help pull the excess smoke out during power outage.

Suggestion, rerun your vet so it produces a positive draft so when the power goes out no smoke in house.

imacman said:
blade050 said:

That is a GREAT question :lol: No power for stove means no power for fan or anything else.

I also have the same question about the smoke backing up into the house as Chris had above.....what type of exhaust set-up do you have on the stove? If it's a direct vent straight out with no vertical rise, I recommend adding 4-5' outside that will help pull the excess smoke out during power outage.

yep, ha, realized that I said this(duh). Usually the power goes out and comes right back on. By that time I smell smoke
and go open the window and run a fan for bout 15 minutes to get rid of smoke .

Would a vertical rise help then ? The dealer said don't need one, just a direct vent, no outside air kit either.

Thanks !

UncleAnthony said:
imacman said:
blade050 said:

I also have the same question about the smoke backing up into the house as Chris had above.....what type of exhaust set-up do you have on the stove? If it's a direct vent straight out with no vertical rise, I recommend adding 4-5' outside that will help pull the excess smoke out during power outage.

yep, ha, realized that I said this(duh). Usually the power goes out and comes right back on. By that time I smell smoke
and go open the window and run a fan for bout 15 minutes to get rid of smoke .

Would a vertical rise help then ? The dealer said don't need one, just a direct vent, no outside air kit either.

Thanks !

My apologies macman, you already recommended a vertical rise . thanks !

No apologies needed.

Yes, some vertical WILL help....natural draft will help clear smoke from stove during power outage.

Oh, and don't believe everything dealers tell you.....an OAK is helpful, and is HIGHLY recommended by major pellet stove companies....Englander and Harman both do.

Status
Not open for further replies.