Power line Spruce, White pine, and Maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
Tree crew for the power co-op came back today. The cleared a bunch of scrub brush, then came ove to the side yard to take down 2 spruce, a good sized white pine and a small maple.
They dropped the pine in the yard so I had better access to it, and I got a good start on it this pm.
The spruce shouldn't be too tough to get to, but the maple is in the power line, so I may wait until the vegetation dies off to get at it.
I was trying to get the rest of the oak logs finished......guess I'll put that on hold while I get this stuff. Don't want the grubs getting too happy
Got 2 pics of one of the spruce coming down, and the rest of the pics are after the takedowns.

Attachments

• 081001_1344[00].jpg
    081001_1344[00].jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 264
  • 081001_1344[01].jpg
    081001_1344[01].jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 278
Good Dave, that will save you from having to haul the wood home. If that wood is reachable on the power line you may want to get that maple out of there before someone else finds it.

Nobody else will take it. I have a VERY good view of that side of the house and the dogs help alert me whenever anyone gets near or drives down the road too slow.
They took down a big w. pine in the ROW across the road (my property as well) a few weeks ago, and a guy around the corner came over to check it out. I was out the door before he got to it.
He wanted to mill it into lumber.
Thanks for the warning though.
The maple is the least accessible tree they took down and can't be seen for all the vegetation.

Well, this has taken longer than I thought it would. WAY too many branches. Most of the stuff in the yard is cleaned up, one 16' section of one of the Spruce, and just under a third of the W. Pine main trunk has been c/s/s.
I told the ground guy to leave everything instead of moving it to the field. Should have let him do it.
Anyway, so far, the pine and spruce c/s/s is 1/2 cord, and I should end up with at least another cord from what's left of those. I'll c/s/s some of the larger branches and the rest are going in the pit where the branches have been burned.
I'll have to work my way to the Maple, since it's down a very overgrown path.
Guy in a dually came by real slow earlier doing quite a bit of rubbernecking. I thought he might fall out the window. Hasn't been back........yet.

Attachments

• IMG_5071resize.jpg
    IMG_5071resize.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_5076resize.jpg
    IMG_5076resize.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_5077resize.jpg
    IMG_5077resize.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_5078resize.jpg
    IMG_5078resize.jpg