Power Pellets vs. Turmans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gog222

Sep 2, 2008
MD
I have been burning Turmans in both my Quads for a few years now. I love them! Clean , good heat, low ash, etc.. Last week i needed pellets and decided to try Power pellets. The stove now takes a lot longer to start. Would the pellets make a difference on ignition? I never had this problem with Turmans ..Any feedback would be appreciated!

thanks to all in advance.

gary

gog222 said:
I have been burning Turmans in both my Quads for a few years now. I love them! Clean , good heat, low ash, etc.. Last week i needed pellets and decided to try Power pellets. The stove now takes a lot longer to start. Would the pellets make a difference on ignition? I never had this problem with Turmans ..Any feedback would be appreciated!

thanks to all in advance.

gary

certainly can make a difference, different species of woods ignite at different temps, and the greater the moisture content, the slower the pellets will ignite....I would guess the Turmans are a better pellet

The Turmans are a hard wood..so yes i agree a softer pellet can gather more moisture. this is my first experience with the Power pellets..once they ignite..they seem to burn ok..but right now its not very cold in MD..just very damp from all the rain. My stove downstairs ( basement) is the only one i run now..just to take off the chill.

thanks for the response

Power pellet update..earlier post i said i was having problems getting the Power pellets to ignite..well...last night i noticed my firepot wasn't getting hot but the ignitor was glowing..so i unpluged the stove and let everything reset..the stove started in 2 minutes..the pwer pellets burned very well..thats the first time in 4 years i had to reset the stove to get a fire started..anyone else have that happen??

Status
Not open for further replies.