Power went out today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo-Quad

Feb 3, 2010
Illinois
My APS kicked on and ran the stove for 20 minutes until I finally shut it down. I was surprised it covered it that long. I think it would have ran much longer had I let it. I just turn it off because I was leaving. Hope the power is back on when I get home. I haven't got my True Sinewave inverter yet.

a 1500 apc will run a stove for over 2 hours, well mine at least

This may be the redneck way to do it but bought a 1500 watt inverter and run it off my car battery when my electric went out last year. My car when idling doesnt use much fuel at all and I had heat, lights, computer, tv etc etc

drtnshtr said:
This may be the redneck way to do it but bought a 1500 watt inverter and run it off my car battery when my electric went out last year. My car when idling doesnt use much fuel at all and I had heat, lights, computer, tv etc etc

This is fine but I bet that 1500 Watt Inverter costs as much as a small Generator!

drtnshtr said:

So you hooked up an inverter to your car battery while the car ran? The you ran your stove, lights and other stuff from the inverter?

Could I run my furnace this way??

BIH

Checkthisout said:
drtnshtr said:

This is fine but I bet that 1500 Watt Inverter costs as much as a small Generator!
I would take that bet...85 bux and my car uses less gas than a small generator.

BIGISLANDHIKERS said:
drtnshtr said:

So you hooked up an inverter to your car battery while the car ran? The you ran your stove, lights and other stuff from the inverter?

Could I run my furnace this way??

BIH
I did not hook my furnace up (i dont technically have a furnace). I plugged my pellet stove and lights etc into it.

I plan on building my own inverter generator using a vertical shaft engine off of one of my mowers. Theres plenty of ideas on the net about this with templates to cut out to make a mounting plate, wiring the alternator....etc.

drtnshtr said:
Checkthisout said:
drtnshtr said:

I would take that bet...85 bux and my car uses less gas than a small generator.

Ok, you win. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.