Power

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drumaz

Jul 23, 2008
NW CT
Hi all - We finally got our power back. just shouting out to everyone out there ... Hope everyone is safe. We were without for about 48 hours. no damage except for my wood pile. About 12ft of a pine tree top came down and busted it up. the house shook when it hit the ground.

lots of trees down .... EVERYWHERE.. I'm in NW CT. It looks like a tornado came through. One of the craziest things I've ever seen. The trees still look like they are covered in glass and I can hear the hum of generators in the distance. We actually had a house burn down a little ways from here due to a generator malfunction.

http://www.rep-am.com/articles/2008/12/13/news/385510.txt

It's been a crazy weekend... good to be home. Hope everyone north of us is safe. They aren't out of the woods yet.

Drumaz - Glad you are safe and that the tree didn't make your house into a kindling pile. A bit too close for comfort I imagine.

Wonderful time to have a newborn in the house. Such a warm little bundle.

My 'warm little bundle' now has a driver's license and on nights like tonight what keeps me awake is worrying until he gets home. :ahhh:

Glad that you are ok and have power Drumaz. These events are quite an experience.

We had two ice storms here last year and our power was out 6 days during the first one. We still tell a lot of stories about how we made it. I suppose that goes with surviving any natural disaster.

It was unreal. No pole lights anywhere and the sound of trees and limbs crashing everywhere. Quite the experience. Every night at the gas station people were filling up cans for the generators. The list of things I took for granted just because we have electric was longer than I ever would have thought.

It was a big event to see 8 or 9 utility trucks pull into the yard to start fixing our lines.

On a good note, I'm sure the wooded areas look like a war zone, but the trees will grow back thicker than they were before. It is amazing to see how nature can hide the past.

Oh yea, you should have plenty of wood for next year!

Here are some pics that I am sure you can relate to. The tractor has so much Ice on the North side of the engine, we had to de-ice it before we could even hit the starter.

Attachments

• OKla_ice_storm_Jan_2007_close up.jpg
    OKla_ice_storm_Jan_2007_close up.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 260
  • OKla_ice_storm_Jan_2007_tractor.jpg
    OKla_ice_storm_Jan_2007_tractor.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 248
  • IceStormCavalry1-07.jpg
    IceStormCavalry1-07.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 262
  • IceStormTreesB1-07.jpg
    IceStormTreesB1-07.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 265
  • IceStormtrees1-07.jpg
    IceStormtrees1-07.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 295
Wow!! Great pics. I'll post some later this week. I took a lot of things for granted as well. Thanks fellas!!

Perplexed - I can't imagine handing car keys to him..... eeeesh!

We're supposed to get ice tonite. A lot of trimming was done when we got the remainder s of Hurricane Ike.
So we'll see what happens tonite.

Status
Not open for further replies.