POWERMATIC FORCED AIR Oil Wood Furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RWA6541

Jan 13, 2010
BRONX, NY
Looking to update wood controls to solid state any recommendations? Currently has electric controlled damper, with adjustable plenum sensor, and of course mercury switch room thermo stat, between all of this is a transformer, oil side is a beckett afg all upgraded I just did major work to this, replaced the oil chamber cut open furnace and installed new one piece, from IPC College Point Queens NYC, also welded up various cracks around box, installed some doubler plating and re-enforced the fire box, I have no quams about launching a stick in there now, also any suggestions on where to get metalbestos 8" pipe at best price, currently have triple wall double air gap flue finished od is about 20 " it works good just getting old.

Personally... I wouldn't have done the work to the furnace considering its age and efficiency. There are furnaces on the market now that would run rings around an old unit like that. Of course all of that comes with a hefty price. I dont think there is anything you can do to upgrade the controls for the wood side of the unit. Even a new modern day woodfurnace contains a transformer, limit/control and a thermostat to control the servo on the damper. There is one furnace that has a computer that controls the blower based on temperatures in the plenum, but thats for one model only. You can wire a digital thermostat to the unit, and maybe a multi-speed direct drive blower but thats all I can think of as far as upgrading.

Well i looked at some new ones and I couldn' t swing the cost this year thats why I went to extremes essentially overhauling the existing, I insulated the hell out of the plenum and sealed up all the duct work, she's working better than I ever remember, quieter too, with the new bearings and all. Thanks for the info...

Status
Not open for further replies.