PP130 Pellet Feed Rate Info

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeremy6500

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2021
Indiana
So this is the start of winter #3 at my new house that came with 2 pellet stoves for heat (well, technically one is a multifuel furnace).

When I first moved in I repaired them and hooked my American Harvest 6500 to a thermostat. PR1 is set to a pilot light feed rate, then it kicks up to PR2 or PR3 when the thermostat calls for heat.

I just came across where I can hook up my PP130 to a thermostat as well. I can set it to turn off when the thermostat isn't calling and then run on high when the thermostat calls. I can also set it to run on low, or any other heat setting while the thermostat isn't calling.

I am not sure if I like the idea of the stove cycling on and off a ton, like I think it would if I set it to turn off. I am thinking of configuring it to run on low whenever the thermostat isn't calling.

What I am looking for is a chart etc of the pellet feed rates for low, high and the 4 different levels it fluctuates between while in comfort mode. Does anyone have this info or have an idea of where I can find it?

Thanks

So this is the start of winter #3 at my new house that came with 2 pellet stoves for heat (well, technically one is a multifuel furnace).

When I first moved in I repaired them and hooked my American Harvest 6500 to a thermostat. PR1 is set to a pilot light feed rate, then it kicks up to PR2 or PR3 when the thermostat calls for heat.

I just came across where I can hook up my PP130 to a thermostat as well. I can set it to turn off when the thermostat isn't calling and then run on high when the thermostat calls. I can also set it to run on low, or any other heat setting while the thermostat isn't calling.

I am not sure if I like the idea of the stove cycling on and off a ton, like I think it would if I set it to turn off. I am thinking of configuring it to run on low whenever the thermostat isn't calling.

What I am looking for is a chart etc of the pellet feed rates for low, high and the 4 different levels it fluctuates between while in comfort mode. Does anyone have this info or have an idea of where I can find it?

Thanks
Here is a link to the service manual for the PP130.

Page 15 has a chart that shows the cycle times for the auger based on the power level. It looks like it picks that level based on where the room temperature is vs. the setpoint on the dial. If you are using something like a pellet miser for the PP130, I would guess that runs it at Power Level 5.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: Jeremy6500
Here is a link to the service manual for the PP130.

Page 15 has a chart that shows the cycle times for the auger based on the power level. It looks like it picks that level based on where the room temperature is vs. the setpoint on the dial. If you are using something like a pellet miser for the PP130, I would guess that runs it at Power Level 5.

Hope that helps!
Thanks. That info will help a lot.

Yeah, the pellet miser runs on high when thermostat is calling for heat and then returns to whatever the dial is set on when not calling.

The idea of an actual thermostat for the stove is great, but not sure if the idea would match reality.

The stove is in my kitchen/eat in area that is adjacent to my living room. The 2 rooms are connected by a large 6ft wide archway. The kitchen area always stays very warm, but the living room fluctuates quite a bit since the thermostat is on the unit in the other room. I am thinking about putting a thermostat in the living room and then setting the dial on low.....or comfort mode setting that would allow the stove to trim down as needed when thermostat wasn't calling.

I have a feeling it my just be one of those thing I would have to get and experiment with. For the cost it wouldn't be a catastrophe if it didn't work well.