Pre-eason servicing a pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LRRifleman

Jan 25, 2011
southern New Jersey
Hello!

Up front, I will automatically say I have lost confidence in the dealer that sold me my pellet stove ... seems they place profit over qulity service.

Currently, they are seeking $500 to: service the stove for the upcoming season, obtain and install an outside air kit, and install a thermostat (install of the thermostat is free, they misunderstood the manufactuer's comments about a thermostat at time of sale).

My question is ... what would "pre-season servicing" of a pellet stove entail?

Thank you for your advice in advance!

If it was me, I'd ask them, then have them put it in writing, then decide whether to have them do it or not.

hossthehermit said:
If it was me, I'd ask them, then have them put it in writing, then decide whether to have them do it or not.

"Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!"

Eric

LRRifleman said:
Hello!

Up front, I will automatically say I have lost confidence in the dealer that sold me my pellet stove ... seems they place profit over qulity service.

Currently, they are seeking $500 to: service the stove for the upcoming season, obtain and install an outside air kit, and install a thermostat (install of the thermostat is free, they misunderstood the manufactuer's comments about a thermostat at time of sale).

My question is ... what would "pre-season servicing" of a pellet stove entail?

Thank you for your advice in advance!

A through cleaning of the stove. Prices in my area seem to be around $135 - $185

Combine that with installing an OAK - I could see how the price would potentially jump up. I have no idea how much OAK installs go for. I would assume it depends on how much piping needs to be installed.

The idea of asking them what it entails and to get it in writing when they show up would be a really good idea.

About 10 months ago, my dealer charged $100 for an OAK and install, done at the same time the stove was installed.

This ALL depends on there version of "clean" . I havd read stories on hefe where some dealers go above and beyond for little cost at all. And others that paid $300 for someone to vacuum there firebox and forget to re-install parts.

Its all in how much pride they take in there work.

Status
Not open for further replies.