prefab insert help - HI200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lakeiris

Dec 1, 2010
WI
Hi all,

I could use some advice about upgrading our crappy prefab fireplace. It is so drafty (not the flue) that we have sealed it off with styrofoam at this time.

We have been to several local fireplace dealers/installers and have gotten various advice. Most recommend installing an insert but the different companies don't agree on which will work or whether they should be installed inset in the brick opening or in front of the brick opening. Not being an expert, I don't know who is correct. Our biggest concern in having the job done right and safely, or we won't do it at all. I have also seen some posts here about not using inserts in prefab fireplaces while others seem to say it is ok.

We are looking at the HI200 with blower. Do you think this would work? The installer would put some cerawool insulation around the back of the insert. There would be a full stainless steel liner with insulation.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Attachments

• inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 377
  • brick opening width.jpg
    brick opening width.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 363
  • brick opening height.jpg
    brick opening height.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 354
lakeiris,
yes you can but you MUST use a approve insert for your ZC and a liner.

You don't list what you ZC you have so not all insert are rated for ZC burners.

You will lose the look of that ZC that's why they are used they look great and are cheap but don't give you any heat for the cost of the wood.

My picture will show you how much on the sides you will lose, somewhere around 3-5 inches on each side because of the taper of your stove in the back and you will probably need legs unless you add to you hearth.

I know what you mean about the cold air coming in and a insert will take care of that mine can heat my 2200 sq ft house very well with 3 times less wood and it 22f outside right now.
md

Thanks for sharing what yours looks like. Something like that would be great!

The plate inside the fireplace door looks like it says FC-3880 Superior, it is a little hard to read. We have not been able to find a manual for it online (this is our first winter in this house).

Is there a good source to see whether any insert would be approved for a particular prefab?

The HI200 manual says that an insert needs to:
1) The insert must be tested and meet the requirements of UL 1482 (U.S.) and or ULC S628 (Canada) when tested in a masonry fireplace built per ULC S628.
2) The factory-built fireplace must be listed per UL 127 or ULC S610.

The label on our existing fireplace says UL127.

Thanks for any help!

If you are getting cold air leaks through the fireplace itself, from the exterior walls behind it, and insert will NOT stop that.

The only way to fix that is to rip the thing out and properly insulate and seal the exterior walls behind the fireplace.

Couple of questions regarding doing an insert
1) When was the prefab installed approx, or what is the MFG date listed on the rating plate?
2) What size flue ID does it have (my guess is 8")
3) Does the flue have an offset, and where is the offset located?

Facts:
If the prefab is mfg before 1998 you need an insulated liner for it to be safe (I would do it regardless).
An insulation wrapped liner will not fit down an 8" prefab flue, especially if there is an offset
If there is no offset you can use a double-wall pre-insulated rigid liner from duravent.

looks like lennox could of bought out Superior. Also every search of that model looks like a gas ZC. That model could be both I don't know I would start by calling a lennox dealer to find out.

Also the lower bottom panel comes out couple of screws and lifts up and out to access the blower maybe there is a tag there to help identify the stove.

Main thing is to see what ZC you have then see if any or what insert is approved for it.

Good luck sorry I'm not familar with your ZC stove.
md

Status
Not open for further replies.