Premium Pellets: How long before your burn pot backs up into auger shoot(top feeders)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heatison

Hearth Supporter
Dec 7, 2008
Putnam County NY
Hello I have a Glow Boy stove for 5 years and currently burning Appling County Pellets(also known as Fram) so called premium pellet which is a hardwood pine mix. Bought them through Pelletsales.com (5 tons worth) and I am more than unhappy with them. My burn pot fills up with ash to the shoot in about 12 hours Which is a little scary and cold to wake up to in the middle of night. Other Premium pellets usually don't do this for days and the case with them is they build up predominately from clinkers where you have to scrape the pot. The Fram pellets build up from ash with no scraping when you clean out pot just remove, turn it over and replace. I'm guessing they don't burn as hot?? I've also cleaned my chimney yesterday and were burning Green Supreme Pellets prior to 12-1 as well as prior to Chimney clean out going 4 days minimum before back up of Burn pot?? Stove feed rate is usually set on 2 out of 4 with the fan speed on 2 out of 5, no thermostat . I've tried to adjust air damper to lean out the mix more like blow more ash out of the top as well as increase fan speed with pot adjustment. I'm sure if you burnt these pellets in a bottom feed they would be fine! I'm in the midst of enquiring about a refund from Middletown Agway(middle man) as well as Pelletsales.com! Wish me luck.

Frank O'Brien NY

heatison said:
Hello I have a Glow Boy stove for 5 years and currently burning Appling County Pellets(also known as Fram) so called premium pellet which is a hardwood pine mix. Bought them through Pelletsales.com (5 tons worth) and I am more than unhappy with them. My burn pot fills up with ash to the shoot in about 12 hours Which is a little scary and cold to wake up to in the middle of night. Other Premium pellets usually don't do this for days and the case with them is they build up predominately from clinkers where you have to scrape the pot. The Fram pellets build up from ash with no scraping when you clean out pot just remove, turn it over and replace. I'm guessing they don't burn as hot?? I've also cleaned my chimney yesterday and were burning Green Supreme Pellets prior to 12-1 as well as prior to Chimney clean out going 4 days minimum before back up of Burn pot?? Stove feed rate is usually set on 2 out of 4 with the fan speed on 2 out of 5, no thermostat . I've tried to adjust air damper to lean out the mix more like blow more ash out of the top as well as increase fan speed with pot adjustment. I'm sure if you burnt these pellets in a bottom feed they would be fine! I'm in the midst of enquiring about a refund from Middletown Agway(middle man) as well as Pelletsales.com! Wish me luck.

Frank O'Brien NY

I wish ya luck. Wish I could give ya a solution instead.

Mine would fill up and start burning on top in about 12 hours until I realized there was a bunch of ash clogging the firebox exhaust (Trail Blazer, not a Glow Boy).

Different varieties of pellets burn pretty well for me these days, but once in a while I get a bad batch. The Lignetics I am currently burning will start filling the pot after about 24 hours. I shut it down and clean it long before the pot fills completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.