PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimde

May 27, 2009
Northeast WI
Does the pressure relief valve on a pressure vessel have to be on the top of the tank? I have a 3/4" threaded port on the top that could be used for the PRV,but I also have one about a foot down and out the side of the tank. Could I use the side port for PRV so that the top port could be a threaded thermometer?

It can be anywhere on the tank. There can be no shutoff between the vessel and the valve.

I dont think you even need one On your pressure vessel . Its only reguired ( Safety valve to keep your vessel from blowing up ) on a vessel that is capable of produceing pressure on its own , ( Boiler , water heater ) Your pressure vessel ( storage tank ) does not produce any heat ( pressure )it only stores hot water from your boiler.

The prv should be located on top of the unit or close to the top if the prv ever releases what ever location you have it like lower on the tank the more water you are going to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.