Preventing rust in outdoor Tulip chair tubing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
We have a set of four "retro" aluminum Tulip chairs. They look just like those my grandmother had back in the 50s. We bought them about five years ago and have already gone through two complete sets of the tube support legs. They rust out very quickly. And the rust is coming from the inside. The sections are sealed so water is not leaking in so it has to be from condensation. Large rust bubbles start appearing at the lowest points in the tubing and eventually breaks through. The manufacturer has graciously replaced the legs twice but says this will be the last time.

I am wondering what I can do to prevent future rust due to condensation inside the tubing. I could drill small drain holes but they would quickly get fill up with dirt brought in by ants. I'm thinking about pouring Rustoleum into the tubes before assembling. That should at least slow down future rust if not prevent it. I don't see any way of preventing the moisture buildup inside the tubes in our humid climate. (south Central Texas.) I hate to spend the money to have them powder coated but, again, that won't prevent moisture build up inside.

I'm open to your suggestions!

Ken in Bellville Texas.

Aluminum doesn't rust. Sure they are not steel?

If steel, the chairs could be hot-dip galvanized, a sure cure. Powder coating is a good finish for indoors only.

Sorry, the seat and back are aluminum. The tube/legs are steel. I'll check into the hot-dip, see if I can find anyone who does that.

Thanks!

I like the idea of pouring rustoleum in there, you could also pour some tool dip for a nice thick rubber coating. A semi crazy idea is fill the entire tube with rigid touch n foam, no way for water or moisture laden air to get in there.

Oh, I like the idea of the spray foam. Shouldn't be too hard since the tubes are in sections. Ought to be cheaper than having them hot dipped. the nearest place is almost 50 miles away. Thanks!

If it comes replacement time again, source stainless tubing to replace the steel. The chair will outlast your butt.

Reactions: Dune
Status
Not open for further replies.