Pricing a propane tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Krabappel

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2010
Blue Ridge Mountains NC
I'm trying to sell extraneous items around my house and yard and use the $$$ to bulk up my wood supply. I have a 120 gallon propane tank that was providing for the -now removed- gas log fireplace. I was hanging on to it because I would ultimately like to run a gas range in my kitchen instead of the electric one I have now. I've decided to worry about that down the road.

The tank came with the house, so I have no idea of the cost, and my google skills are failing me. Any ideas? I have already emailed a guy who was looking for one on CL, so I need to figure it out soon.

Thanks!

I was looking for a small tank for my shop this past summer. I finally found a 120 gallon tank that a farmer was selling after he went to a larger one. It was 1/3 full and in very good condition. I got it for $225. I had priced new ones from local gas suppliers, and a 120 was close to $800 by the time I paid for delivery and taxes. OUCH! It may be different in your part of the world.

Are you sure that it's yours? Does it have a supplier's logo on it? In my experience unless you have a bill of sale for the tank, the last supplier will claim that they own it, even if they have no proof.

I really think in the near future you'll regret having sold that tank. I just bought one. That size is almost impossible to find used. I search for almost a year to find one that didn't cost a new price. Having said that, propane is a very expensive fuel to use in the Pacific Northwest. I've got the tank, but can't afford to fill it. bjr23

Status
Not open for further replies.