Prince splitter valve leak in detent assy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
So, today I am using the splitter (which will be a year old in August and works like a dream (Timberwolf TW-HV-1)) and I notice some wetness.

Turns out to be a drip from the control valve, which is a Prince LS3000.

The leak is appearing at the bolt on the detent adjusting screw/ assembly.

Going to contact Timberwolf tomorrow (warranty is a year, so hopefully this will be covered), but in the interest of trying to get to the bottom of what it may need, have pulled up the Prince manual for the valve- see items 11-26 at page 6 of:

http://www.princehyd.com/Portals/0/products/valves/LS3000Manual.pdf

Looks like there is a kit available for a replacement detent assembly, but it looks like the kit (list at least) is $53.80. This on a valve that lists for around $100. Ouch

Anyone ever work on one of the detent kits and did you get anywhere by just replacing o-rings and seals?

I've rebuilt seals on spool valves, hydraulic motors, and other stuff but never before ran into a leak in a detent or pressure relief.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I have the same splitter, with about 60+ cords of use on it. Valve had always been dry until this Spring. One day noticed oil when I was done splitting. Have been watching it ever since, and am not getting any more leakage.

I don't have any rebuild experience to share, but would note you need to be pretty clear with them when you order parts - took multiple attempts to get the right hydraulic filter from them (finally brought the old filter in and handed it to them).

Great splitter - was just using it today.

Timberwolf is sending out an entire new valve on their nickel for both part and shipping, along with a label to return the old one to them. Since they're nearby, it should arrive tomorrow. Great service on a great product!

Timberwolf is sending out an entire new valve on their nickel

Sounds like you already have all the help you need.;)

New valve was sitting on my porch when I got home yesterday. Pulled the old valve and installed the new. All's well. Tremendously impressed with the service from Timberwolf. They included a label for shipping the old valve back to them on their tab. Doesn't get much better than this!

Status
Not open for further replies.