Problem attaching log chain to Skidder tongs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyscott

Apr 6, 2009
arkansas
The hooks don't match up so I go back to TSC and talk to one of the guys. He advises me to hook the tongs directly to the chain link stating that this is more secure than attaching hook to hook.

That make sense?

Attachments

• log chain.jpg
    log chain.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 459
  • skidder tongs.jpg
    skidder tongs.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 499
I'm with Southbound, I don't see anything wrong with hooking to the chain. That is what that type (parallel inside) hook is designed to do.

Well I've never used tongs . . . always just used choker chains when pulling out wood . . . but I've pretty much did what the TSC guy said . . . loop the chain into the hook.

I just choke the log as well with a cable.

Lefty, what they showed you will work but is not the normal way to hook it up. As Southbound stated, there is usually a ring on the thongs. Then you can feed the chain through the ring.

I also much prefer my chains to have a grab hook on one end and a slip hook on the other.

Backwoods Savage said:
Lefty, what they showed you will work but is not the normal way to hook it up. As Southbound stated, there is usually a ring on the thongs. Then you can feed the chain through the ring.

I also much prefer my chains to have a grab hook on one end and a slip hook on the other.

Appreciate all the feedback.. I saw tongs online with the ring instead of hook. TSC only sells one type so I just bought it, being the impulsive shopper I am.

Hope to use them soon. Just need to find a downed tree somewhere on my back 50 acres.

Will give follow up report at that time.

leftyscott said:
He advises me to hook the tongs directly to the chain link stating that this is more secure than attaching hook to hook.
Never hook to hook; hook to chain. Not as convenient as an eye/ring, but that is what you have. Good luck w/ it.

Status
Not open for further replies.