Problem--Maybe??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

referee38

Mar 27, 2011
Eastern Pa
Good morning I am at the office and my wife just called me and this is second time its happend for her so I am not sure if its a stove problem or my better halfs problem. The stove was working when i left it looked like it was shutting down I had it in room temp mode. When my wife got up she said it was cold and the furnace came on and I have that set way back. She turned the temp up in the room temp mode and nothing happened and then she got 5 blinks of the lights which means it won't ignite.

She called me and I told her I would call the dealer and for her to pull the plug out for a minute plug it back in and start it in stove mode. It did start in that mode. I called the dealer and he said most times they find the the burn pot air holes are clogged and thats why it won't ignite. I told him I scrape it everyday. He also said there could be a 5 degree swing in the temp and maybe she did not turn temp up high enough but was puzzled why the lights blinked. He said if it happens again they will have to come out and test the stove, the stove is new . I guess I will clean the stove tomorrow. I had cleaned it good about 10 days ago. What puzzles me is it never happens when I am home :).

Anyone have any other ideas what could be going on.

Thanks,
ed

I also have a brand new P43 that does this in room temp mode, with igniter in Auto.

Stove is cold, turn it on, Fire lights up, igniter shuts off, the room reaches temperature, stove shuts down. No problem.

After a while the room cools, the stove lights up, fire starts OK. Looking good, but the igniter doesn't turn off. I then end up with the 5 blinks saying a fire failed to ignite in the set time.

The stove did this on its very first bag of pellets, so it has nothing to do with cleaning. Dealer says just leave it in manual after it lights but I tried that and went through a bag of pellets in 18 hours (with feed rate below 3)!! ...and it's not even really cold yet.

76brian said:
I also have a brand new P43 that does this in room temp mode, with igniter in Auto.

Stove is cold, turn it on, Fire lights up, igniter shuts off, the room reaches temperature, stove shuts down. No problem.

After a while the room cools, the stove lights up, fire starts OK. Looking good, but the igniter doesn't turn off. I then end up with the 5 blinks saying a fire failed to ignite in the set time.

The stove did this on its very first bag of pellets, so it has nothing to do with cleaning. Dealer says just leave it in manual after it lights but I tried that and went through a bag of pellets in 18 hours (with feed rate below 3)!! ...and it's not even really cold yet.

That's not right for your P43. I have my P43 set on room temp and it goes off and on about 12 times a day, which saves a lot of pellets. I think your dealer is off. It sounds like your ESP probe may be bad. Their advice will work but your stove is not functioning correctly. If I were you I would press the dealer on this issue. Good Luck, the P43 is a great pellet stove and should be able to operate in automatic mode turning on/off throughout the day as necessary. This will save A LOT of pellets.

PJPellet said:
the P43 is a great pellet stove and should be able to operate in automatic mode turning on/off throughout the day as necessary. This will save A LOT of pellets.

That was my hope also.

I put the stove back on Room Temp mode last night, and it has not happened since, but the weather has been warm enough that the stove doesn't need to start that often.

It's almost as if the issue only happened when it went to start back up and there was still a little bit of hot coals in the burn pot. Does that make any sense?

referee38 said:
What puzzles me is it never happens when I am home :).

Thanks,
ed

Ed, being married for 32 years, I think your above quote, answers your own question. I would not do anything, until you got home to look the situation over.

Tom. C.

Status
Not open for further replies.