Problem with East West stacks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Sun only hits one side of one row of a 2 row stack.
The no sun side doesn't get any (or much) day time heat.

Be nice to have the row going N/S but it's what I got for now.
May be able to change next year but not sure, going down property line is working well .

Can see the drying crack on the end grain of the South sunny side but very little dry cracking on the North shaded side. North side even has some frost on the bark . Wood cut in Oct.

Pictures are 1:30 PM today, (high noon for us now) was 2° last night, now 10°f :

South facing side:
DSCF0116.JPG DSCF0117.JPG

North side:
DSCF0122.JPG DSCF0119.JPG

Reactions: ScotO
My first year I stacked my wood E/W and I had the same problem, now they are N/S except the HH which is N/E/S/W

Bogydave, on the northside of the house the stacks run e/w, on the eastside of the house they run n/s which gives the face of the wood great sun along with tons of wind.
zap

That wood looks almost to good to burn , almost , nice looking stacks whatever direction they run.

You know what mine look like Dave.
I dug out all the old posts on the south row and moved them farther south by about 4' to give the north row more sun at the bottom all year.
You've got room.;)
I learned real quick to only stack 5', and the stacks still lean southward, so I put a slight lean north.
I've got some recently c/s/s Maple and Oak that's already getting some checking.

Dave, I am pretty sure you have time to wait based on what I have seen of your wood shed. It will all season by the time it's ready to be moved into that over pretty (also read " the one I am jealous of") wood shed. If i remember right it doesn't have to be moved for at least 2 years??

That's why I built my woodpile turntable. It rotates the pile 45 degrees each day for even drying, lol. Seriously Dave I have had a problem where the ground on the side getting sun thaws while the other side is still frozen stiff and the pile starts to lean towards the sunny side. if the pile was already leaning from shrinkage I could see it falling.

Never thought about the lean toward the sun. Learn something new all the time ;)

It has good air circulation & 6 hours of sun now. Some of it is for 14/15 & the rest is 15/16. It'll be ready by then, be the oldest wood I've ever burned.

I guess I just needed to post some pictures of my stacks & show how they are seasoning.
Everyone else keeps posting pics of their progress & I'm watching stacks of birch freeze dry. Better than watching paint dry, just slower ;)
Intresting to see how the sun really helps in the cold dry winter .

Always looking for ways to improve & things to learn ;)

Reactions: milleo and ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.