Problems with after burner TL 300

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cordmaster

Dec 10, 2011
Western Ma
firewood
Hi everyone I am new to the Hearth room. I have the Harman :coolsmile: n TL300 and I have been burning with it for four years now. I burn anywhere from 7 to 10 cords a winter season. Over the past four years I learned allot about this stove. One of the biggest problems that I recently encountered was the stove dying right out once I loaded the stove with dry hardwood. A two inch coal bed was already inside the stove. Once I closed the damper lever the stove would starve for air. I called the dealer and They did not know anything about the wood stoves they sell. Frustrated I went home And tore the inside of the stove apart. All 4 12 inch fire bricks were removed first then the back fire bricks. the last brick you remove is the shoe brick. That's the one with the holes drilled in them. Once the shoe brick was removed I saw 3 inches of ash behind it. The problem was found. The After burner could not get the air it needed once the damper was closed. Most important to use a soot vacuum to clean out ashes along corners to make sure the fire brick goes back in flush. I put all the fire bricks back in and started the fire. Once the stove was up to operating temp closed the damper and the after burner took off YES!!!!! Upon inspection of after burner chamber i saw a pea size hole in it. The after burner chamber is really only good for 4 years if you are a heavy burner like me. If not you can get 8 years if your lucky. Rule of thumb with your coal beds do not let them get 3 inches deep. Why? because it will go over the shoe brick causing the stove not to run right. The next thing I will do once the burning season is over is removal of the Afterburner chamber. Let know one fool you the back of the stove has to come apart. Harmen is the Porche of wood stoves yes. and that comes at a price. DEALER ORDERING PARTS$$$$$$. If you are a Harman owner and is having a problem let me know.

Do you think vacuming out what you can about once a month would help? Pat

I think getting ash back there is just part of the deal. Some folks here do mid-season cleanings of the combuster. I've gotten by with a one spring cleaning each year so far, but this past one was pretty bad. A lot of ash back there.

Does that hole mean you've got to replace the combuster? I don't think I'd touch it until you have to. That will be the end of it for sure.
And wow, how much area are you heating? That's a lot of wood.

curber said:
Do you think vacuming out what you can about once a month would help? Pat

Yes, but be careful not to damage the AB with the vacuum - the older the AB is, the more fragile it gets.

The ash vacuum will not get down in there. You would have to remove all fire bricks plus shoe brick. You have to be very gentle back there where the cumbustion chamber is. you can poke a hole right through the fire membrane. It is not ceramic. it like a fire proof cardboard insulation I know its not carboard. I think once a season would be good if you burn 6 cord plus. Replacing the combustion chamber is not too hard Spoke to one of the owners of Harman. I will take mine apart at the end of the burning season :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.