Problems with Biomax blower fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

esme

Dec 13, 2008
Western VT
The motor for our Biomax 60 blower burned out recently, and we received a replacement motor with a smaller fan to avoid another burnout. Since the fan replacement, we've been having trouble getting good gasification. Boiler temps hover in the 160 range-- only occasionally making it to 180. Has anyone else had this problem? We've tried opening the primaries to 5/8" and the secondaries to 1/4", set the smaller fan --by controller-- to 100% (big fan worked well at 80%) and adjusted the shutter to 1/2". So far that hasn't helped much. Our wood quality hasn't changed; we were cycling nicely in the 180 range before the blower problem. We'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Welcome to the boiler room! I do have the new fan blade too. Your right it isn't as powerful and it does take a litter longer to get up to temperature. We had some discussions about wood size in the links below. I found out that wood about playing card size up to 4x4 works best for me with a moisture content below 20%. Primaries open to about a half inch at measured from the top at the furtherest point, secondary open 3/8 and door shutter at 1/2. You may want to check for blockage on the ports that enter the firebox. Looking in the primaries with a flashlight in the firebox check to make sure all 3 holes are open on each side. Keep us posted, good Luck.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/32658/
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/30239/

Status
Not open for further replies.