Problems with Draft fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

machinistbcb

Nov 21, 2007
Sabattus Maine
I went to start a fire tonight and switched on the draft fan. The fan didn't Turn on, so I took the top cover off the Tarm and did what any respectable mechanic would do and gave the fan a few good wacks. The fan started up slowly. The boiler is a 20 year old 2000 series gassifier that I bought used from an owner that only used it for a few years. I noticed from the get go that the fan seemed to lack power ( though I am not sure that it does as I have never seen one run on another boiler ). Any thoughts on the what could be causing this ? Loose connection somewhere ? Does anybody know what the RPM of the fan should be ? Thanks for any help.

Brian

machinistbcb said:
I went to start a fire tonight and switched on the draft fan. The fan didn't Turn on, so I took the top cover off the Tarm and did what any respectable mechanic would do and gave the fan a few good wacks. The fan started up slowly. The boiler is a 20 year old 2000 series gassifier that I bought used from an owner that only used it for a few years. I noticed from the get go that the fan seemed to lack power ( though I am not sure that it does as I have never seen one run on another boiler ). Any thoughts on the what could be causing this ? Loose connection somewhere ? Does anybody know what the RPM of the fan should be ? Thanks for any help.

Brian
If it is that old the fan bushings are dry and need some lube. Look for some place to oil them and if not try ( alittle wd-40) on the shaft in very small squirts. (NOT WITH THE BOILER RUNNING AS WD-40 IS VERY FLAMABLE)
leaddog

Status
Not open for further replies.