problems with keeping glass clean

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eno33

Oct 8, 2008
south NY
just got a Jotul 450 last night and fired it up......I was told the 1st few fires the paint would cure (which explained a smell) however I am having trouble with keeping the glass clean during burns......looking for help!!

your brand new too this stove. Give yourself a few weeks to get used to the stove. When you first drive a new car, the first few stop signs are exciting.

The paint leave a film on the glass. That will go away with the smell. Hot fires keep the glass clean down the road.

also if your wood is not seasoned properly, your glass will not stay clean. I too am having this problem and realize i will have to deal with it this first burning season for me.

I've never had a door glass or front glass stay clean like the windshield of a car.

I always found the 'cleanliness' or ability to actually see the fire fluxuated and for the most part the center or about 50% of the glass would flake off enough to see through that middle part. An hoyr or so after lighting a fire it would improve on its own.
Frustrating to begin with when You want to see how the fire is doing and it's difficult.

I have found that having the fuel to close to the glass during start up is a major source. When building your fire keep it a way from the glass. After your have a hot bed the issue goes away with good dry wood.

Rocky R; After about 5or 6 good fires in my 550 I also get a slight film on the glass door. I find it comes off with ordindary glass cleaner and newspaper. Wood I burn is very dry. I hope in time the "air wash" works.

When I read the reviews on this site, most of them mentioned some glass issues. My 450 will creosote up if I build a small fire, or use damp wood. It is still o early for me to build a real hot fire that will keep it clean.

For cleaning, save on the cleaners, and use a wet cloth and fine ashes, and wipe it off.

My glass still gets some brownish tints on it after a burn,cleaing it seems to get easier in time.Maybe the airwash system is just meant to keep the glass cleaner than if there was no air wash.Does anyone out there have a glass that doesnt get some brownish tinting on it after a few burns?

More air improves the airwash. More air also makes a hotter fire, and heat burns the glass clean just like a self-cleaning oven.

Slow fires really are not compatible with clean glass, and I don't think there's any way around it. My glass only really sparkles during December and January.

Eddy

It hasn't been cold yet either... You may be having a draft issue. What is your chimney made of? Where is it located? How tall? What size is the flue? Any bends?

Learning the quirks of your stove and the colder weather to come will help keep your glass cleaner.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.