Problems with older Poulan 4000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ARGlock

Feeling the Heat
Aug 24, 2010
Arkansas
Folks I've got a Poulan 4000 (countervibe I belive its called) from the mid 80's. It has started fine on the first tank but after I fill it again with the second tank of gas it will not start. The plug also looks like it is wet after trying to start the second tank. I replaced the spark plug with a new one and the problem is still there when starting the second tank.

Someone suggested I take the plug out and dry it with a lighter. But this would get old, surely there is a fix for my saw. I was hoping I could figure it out myself and not have to take it in to a shop.

Do I need a carburator kit? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
AR

it is possible that the coil is heating up after shutdown and going to an open circuit, which would prevent restarting until it was cold.

Thanks for the info Blades! This sounds like an interesting theory. It ran perfectly on the first tank but when trying to start the second I about pulled my arm off. I've been wanting a new Husky but just don't have it in the budget at the moment. I only use the saw for yard maintenance not really wood cutting since I've got a pellet stove but I've got a big yard with lots of trees!

Hopefully I can figure this blasted thing out.

AR

If the plug is wet its either flooding (carb problem) or the choke is still on, or its not getting spark. You can get a rebuild kit for the carb.

Is the gas fresh??

I cant recall but would a mid 80's saw still have points ???

ANeat, It's getting spark and I only used the choke in a normal manner. It does have fresh gas. We did take the plug out and cycled it a few times and there is way ample gas getting through the system. Looked like a fog in the chamber actually. Maybe it's getting too much gas from a carb problem? This could be where a carb kit would be needed. I'm not a chainsaw guru but do know how to work on pellet stoves, and solar thermal systems. Maybe I can eventually figure this one out.

Thanks,
AR

How full are you filling the fuel tank? on one of my saws, had a problem with filling it too full, then when I would screw the fuel cap down, would flood the engine. took awhile and a lot of head scratching to figure that one out. could just be from turning it on its side to fill it too?

Pineburner said:
How full are you filling the fuel tank? on one of my saws, had a problem with filling it too full, then when I would screw the fuel cap down, would flood the engine. took awhile and a lot of head scratching to figure that one out. could just be from turning it on its side to fill it too?

Never have heard of that problem. But yes, I normally fill it quite full. I'll have to test not filling it all the way up and just maybe it will help.

Thanks,
AR

Status
Not open for further replies.