Product Reveiw: Granberg File-N-Joint Precision Filing Guide (Chainsaw Sharpening)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beowulf

Dec 24, 2009
SoCal Southern Sierras
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=15200&catID=9958

The Bailey's link above shows the unit, along with it's pdf instruction file and a video of a guy using it.

I spent a Saturday with the #1 son building yet another retaining wall at the mountain place, out of, yes, you guessed it, railroad ties. A few needed to be cut at angles to make some of the curves in the wall look right. The embedded gravel in them is pretty rough on a saw chain.

I had bought the FIL one of these units for Christmas last year. He would be the last guy on the planet to actually need it, since he is pretty good at hand filing, but I figured he might have some fun with it. I also picked one up, thinking it might be nice to be able to straighten out a really messed up chain in the field, if I did not happen to have a spare loop with me.

I clamped the MS250 in the bench vise, by the bar. I then put the couple of pieces together on the Grandberg guide, installed a new 5/32" file and attached the unit. It took a little thinking to get it set up right, so the chain would slide through, but not be sloppy. I measured the cutters with a digital caliper, then set and filed the shortest cutter into submission and marked it with a back sharpie. I proceeded to then file the rest of the cutters that faced left to the same dimension, switched the unit to the right facing cutters, and filed them all to the same length.

Next, I installed a flat raker file and set the height up to file the rakers to 0.020" below the cutter tip. This only took a couple of strokes on most of the rakers.

The whole process, including learning curve, reading the directions, and fooling around, took about 30 minutes.

I took the saw out and made a few cuts on some 8" dead oak logs. As far as I can tell, the old full chisel Oregon chain is now back to cutting like new.

I then picked up the MS200T and set it up in the vise. I repeated the sequence above, on a mostly sharp chain. It took about 5 minutes, total.

I probably would still manually file a chain between tanks while working, but this thing will be pretty nice in the truck, for those days when you find something unexpected in a tree trunk and severely dull up a chain, without a handy backup loop. The saw does not need to be in a vise to use it, but if one is handy, it is easier.

Quality note: The castings, knobs, wingnuts, etc. are all pretty cheesy looking. If you could find one of these things from 50 years ago, it would probably be more pleasant to use. I think the modern ones will hold up ok, but they sure engineered the cost out of them.

I started using one those years ago.They're great to help you get the knack of filing.Once Dad taught me how to properly file manually,its been hanging on wall behind bench for 25yrs now.Depending on what I'm cutting (lots of deadfall & standing dead Red/Black Oak,White/Bur Oak & the occasional Shagbark Hickory the past few months) I generally will touch up the teeth every tank or two of fuel.3-4 strokes with 7/32" round file,takes 5 min tops for 20" bar,quite a bit longer for the 36",unless its skip tooth chain.Nice to take a break during cutting/splitting to give my back a rest.Every 3-4 sharpenings I take the rakers down a scoch,3 light strokes with small flat file.

Been using one of these, the same one, for 35+ yrs.
I find it MUCH easier than simple file-guide for maintaining angles.
NEVER had to clamp saw bar in vice first; kinda difficult to do in the woods, anyhow.
It's saved me serious bucks over the years, getting great chain mileage.

I do not have one but they are a great field tool for a real bad chain. I do just enough chain to have a grinder, but I could see using one in a pinch. A stump vise is an excellent companion too.

Beowulf said:
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=15200&catID=9958

The Bailey's link above shows the unit, along with it's pdf instruction file and a video of a guy using it.

I clamped the MS250 in the bench vise, by the bar. I then put the couple of pieces together on the Grandberg guide, installed a new 5/32" file and attached the unit. It took a little thinking to get it set up right, so the chain would slide through, but not be sloppy. I measured the cutters with a digital caliper, then set and filed the shortest cutter into submission and marked it with a back sharpie. I proceeded to then file the rest of the cutters that faced left to the same dimension, switched the unit to the right facing cutters, and filed them all to the same length.

Been trying to figure out the one I just got, read the directions, watched 3 different videos, the thing that is giving me fits, is, once you do the left facing ones,filing from the inside out, do you take the guide off and turn the saw around and re-attatch the guide, and do the right facing ones from the inside out, too? Or do you just switch the unit around and file them from the outside in??????????? The chain is pretty beat, anyway, but I'd like to get a handle on what I'm doing before I put a new one on.

In the video (first page from the first link), it looks like a pain to get the file out of the tooth groove after sharpening a tooth - looked like he back-dragged the tooth on the first couple teeth. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.