Profile 30 insert problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

c5josh

Jan 11, 2010
Nor Cal
Ok my Profile 30 has been working great for years. One day when I fired it up it started fine great flame and heat then in about thirty min you start hearing a funny buzz noise everytime the augur turns and the flame is like it on low. Its like the pellets are not dropping down fast enough. I work on all my own stuff and pretty handy when it comes to working on things. So I took everything apart and cleaned everything on how the Forum suggest to clean and been doing my normal cleaning. Noithing was to dirty cause I just did a full cleaning in Oct before I started using it. The eye is clean and the auger does turn and the stove never turns off by fault. Not sure what to do next the augur set screw is tight. Any help would be helpful its could out. Thanks

So other than this buzzing noise, the stove is operating normally?

no after about 30min when the stove is set to high the flame almost goes out and it acts like its on the low setting and the buzzing noise starts. Would this be the motor going out?

i'd disconnect the auger motor, plug in direct to 120V and see if it makes any noise then. if so, bad motor. The way that motor mounts, with the bushing and plate, sometimes over time the hole in the plate wears and becomes oblong, creating resistance and eventuially killing the auger motor. Noises are tough, they are so subjective. grab onto the motor and see if you can wiggle it around (you shouldn't be able to usually), it does dangle there so you might be able to twist it on the shaft, but there shouldn't be any play in a wiggling motion. if you have the back panel off you should be able to locate the origin of the sound and narrow down the possibilities. good luck

I'm having the exact same problem with my Profile 30. It makes a buzzing sound when the control panel signals the auger motor to spin. I think my noise is coming from the motor.

Mine is about 9 years old. So I'm thinking either the motor has gotten weak or the bushings are worn. The bushings can be like disc brakes if they are not functioning correctly. I have been getting auger jams pretty frequently too.

If you take the motor off, do you have a lot of up and down play with the auger?

Just an FYI - I did hook my motor to direct power and it functioned fine. Maybe I didn't provide enough resistance to the auger shaft.

I'm not sure if you can lubricate the bearings or if they need to be replaced.

Anyone ever notice that you always get auger jams when the hopper is totally full? Makes for a fun clean out! :)

Thanks everybody for the help. I took the augur motor apart and sure enough there was play in the motor you could see on the armature that part of the armature was not hitting the magnets all the way and the other end of the armature was rubbing on the magnets. Went to Lows spent .59 cents and you get two in-case you mess up one and made a new bushing (3/8 x .171 x1/2) Sku is 008236708233 H#880431. I took the white and the green bushing out and made it all one piece. You will have to drill the new bushing out just a bit and then sand down one end till you get just the right movement in the amateur. The stove works like new no noise plenty of heat and plenty of pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.