Profile 30 Photoeye bypass - jumper, switch, anything please.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sdjohnstone

Jan 31, 2008
Washington
none
I have the first generation Profile 30 with the photoeye buried deep inside the unit. The Photoeye has been cleaned but after a while it has dusted up again and is a pain in the butt to clean. Technically as it is a design flaw I am reluctant to spend a few hundred bucks to get the relocation kit, then more for installation.

Does any one know how to bypass the photoeye, ie closing the circuit or keeping the circuit open with a switch or jumper?

For those of you who are not allergic to dust (I am so I cant do this anymore) you can use a can of compressed air cleaner (The type to use to clean computer keyboards by sticking the straw in the slot and blasting away

I don't think it will be possible to bypass. You shouldn't have to pay for that relocation kit. It's exactly like you said, a design flaw, and the fix is on Whitfield (Lennox). I'd call them directly and be as squeaky as possible, bet you'll get greased. If you can get the kit for free it can be installed with some simple household tools.

mastergunnera8 said:
I am looking at buying a Profile Insert now...do you know the cutoff when the new location was produced?...other than that, how is the stove?

All I have to say is stay away from the profile stoves
Lennox has discontinued all Whitfield stove and will not produce parts for stoves older than 10 years old
There are a lot of other stoves out there around the same price with a better track record.

If your stove is similar to mine, you can substitute a 1,000 ohm resistor (or a close value) in place of the photocell. When I needed to do this I unplugged the photocell from the back of the control panel. It is a 2 conductor connector with a tab you squeeze to allow the two parts to separate. I used alligator clips to hold the resistor in place. One pin in the connector is connected to 5 volts via a pull up resistor. If I recall correctly, the other pin is ground. Personally, I would not leave a safety device bypassed and then go to bed. The flame sensor shuts the stove off if the flame goes out. With the photocell bypassed the burn chamber can fill up with pellets, which could be a real problem if the stove managed to light them.

I got tired of taking my stove apart to clean the photocell and lenses. I went to the hardware store and bought lengths of tiny brass tubing. I installed them inside the stove pointed at the surfaces that need cleaning. Now from outside the stove, I can clean these parts with a can of compressed air.

Status
Not open for further replies.