Profile 30 puking smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ratherbefishin

Sep 22, 2009
British Columbia
I have a profile 30 that I used last year for 2 tons with no problems, but after that if seemed to plug up with ash. I've had multiple cleanings by the tech, tried switching pellets, but I still have the following problem: the stove lights, fills with smoke, which then pours out of the stove from seemingly everywhere; the ash pan, where the heat usually blows out of, etc. I assumed it just stopped venting for some reason, but I haven't found what it is yet. I've done the usual maintenance cleaning, including the exhaust vents, pulled the motors to look for buildup behind them (nothing), cleaned the photo eye. The tech did the door seal gasket, and said it was fine.

I'm new to pellet stoves, but i cant see what needs looking at next. The exhaust fan is working. Any ideas? Thanks!

I think we need someone who owns this stove to give ideas. In your mind you have cleaned everything you can, but there has to be something thats been missed.

I would follow the path the exhaust takes from the firepot all the way to when it gets outside. Inspect every area. If you cannot see an area there is probably a panel that comes off so you can get in there.

The stove sounds like it's plugged with ash,you said you cleaned the exhaust vents do you mean the ports in the stove or the actual exhaust pipe? If you haven't thats where I would start.You could also try doing a search on cleaning with a leafblower you will be amazed how good it works.

i had a problem with smoke last year, it turned out that the T had a bad seam that had came apart. Inspect the exhaust T and hose for bad connections.

Thanks for the fast replies. The exhaust ports and pipes, from the burn pot to the exterior exhaust are clear, have good circulation. Blowing air from the exhaust at the back of the stove sends air through the heat circulation tubes (once the covers on the two side plates are replaced - apologies for not knowing the proper terms)
Could the exhaust fan be slowing down so it is not working properly? Can it be tested?
Also, what about the pressure switch? (this was replaced last season...) Any impact on exhaust?

MNKYWRNCH - I saw those videos last year, but cant find a leafblower that I think will fit on the outside pipe around here. I assume I need one that has a collar at the air intake to clamp a connector onto? Is that correct? What model is used? Do you know where they are purchased?

Thanks again guys, it's nice to have experienced opinions.

The brand I have is a weed eater #WEB 200 but whatever brand you get you will have to get a pvc adapter at any hardware store,and the leafblower should have the vac option.

the exhaust fan is working as you stated but is it still running when the stove starts pushing smoke??? or does it run til it lights then shut that blower down? if the stove is a "direct vent" its a "negative draft induced" unit so if the exhaust blower is running you should not get smoke blowing out of anywhere but the vent leading out.

Thanks MNKYWRNCH, that helps!
Pyro, I'm not sure. I know the fan is running because I looked at it while it was not bolted to the stove.
Would I just pull the exhaust pipe and check for air pushing out while I'm having the smoke issue, or is there another way to check that?
Thanks

ratherbefishin said:
Thanks MNKYWRNCH, that helps!
Pyro, I'm not sure. I know the fan is running because I looked at it while it was not bolted to the stove.
Would I just pull the exhaust pipe and check for air pushing out while I'm having the smoke issue, or is there another way to check that?
Thanks

do you have access to the motor while teh stove is running? the motor should have a cooling fan between the motor and the housing. watch and see if the fan is shutting down after ignition, might be a bad low limit switch if the low limit doesnt recognise the fire the stove could just shut down.

All right, I went to reattach the blower motor and try your suggestion, and it fell a couple of inches to the floor, knocking a quarter cup of ash loose. I reattached it and fired the stove up, watching the fans and waiting for the smoke, but, no smoke! Just flame. I realized I hadn't put the draft control shaft back in place, and when I put it back to where it was, the flame slowed down. I think my tech tightened it down too much. So I have loosened it off a bit and am keeping my fingers crossed.

Don't know if it was the ash in the exhaust blower, or the draft, but for now it seems to be working again.

Thanks for the advice!

ratherbefishin said:
All right, I went to reattach the blower motor and try your suggestion, and it fell a couple of inches to the floor, knocking a quarter cup of ash loose. I reattached it and fired the stove up, watching the fans and waiting for the smoke, but, no smoke! Just flame. I realized I hadn't put the draft control shaft back in place, and when I put it back to where it was, the flame slowed down. I think my tech tightened it down too much. So I have loosened it off a bit and am keeping my fingers crossed.

Don't know if it was the ash in the exhaust blower, or the draft, but for now it seems to be working again.

Thanks for the advice!

hey! good deal , as long as its working. it should be noted that exhaust fans can form buildup on the blades reducing performance and should be inspected and cleaned annually, glad to hear you are burning clean and mean again

Status
Not open for further replies.