Profile 30 slow convection motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

C5josh99

Nov 8, 2015
Ca.
I have a profile 30 insert pellet stove and have had it for 13 years. When I went to start the stove i noticed the convection fan did not seem to be on high. So I cleaned the stove completely and both blower motor and convection motor. I but the stove back together and the convection fan still is maybe on medium speed. So I unpluged the motor while the stove was running and plugged the motor directly into 120volt outlet and the motor went on high speed. Then I plugged it back into the stove wire harness and it went back down to medium speed instead of high. I put a volt meter on the two wires and I am only getting 108volts. Then if I unplug the motor and put the volt meter on the wires going to the motor I get 120volts without the motor plugged in. Any ideas what might be wrong? Would this be a bad control board?

Thanks

I put a volt meter on the two wires and I am only getting 108volts. Then if I unplug the motor and put the volt meter on the wires going to the motor I get 120volts without the motor plugged in. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Hello C5josh99, and welcome to the forum. Good troubleshooting there! You have a clear indication of a voltage drop somewhere in the supply circuitry. To further narrow the search for the source of this, I suggest you take a reading of the convection blower voltage on the test ports ( see picture below ). If you read 108 Volt between the 'common' and 'conv. fan' terminals, then you know for sure that the voltage drop occurs inside the control board.
With a little luck it could be the Molex plug that is corroded ( easy to clean/fix ), but most likely it's the relay supplying a neutral to the entire stove that has worn contacts ( arcing ).
David in Ontario should be able to repair the board if it turns out that the relay is worn out. His price is around $98 for a standard repair, return shipping included. Link to Davids ad on Kijiji.ca with contact info : http://www.kijiji.ca/v-heater-humid...i-plus-control-board-repair-service/265783976

If the 'conv. fan' voltage on the test ports is ok, then the voltage drop must be in the Molex plug or the wiring. If not, then it's most likely a worn relay. It is possible to take a voltage reading directly on the output terminals of the relay in order the check its function. If the voltage drop occurs inside the relay, some heat will be dissipated there... it will turn hot.
Take care, if you have to dismantle the board and measure with live line voltage on the board!
Test points on control board.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bioburner
Hello C5josh99, and welcome to the forum. Good troubleshooting there! You have a clear indication of a voltage drop somewhere in the supply circuitry. To further narrow the search for the source of this, I suggest you take a reading of the convection blower voltage on the test ports ( see picture below ). If you read 108 Volt between the 'common' and 'conv. fan' terminals, then you know for sure that the voltage drop occurs inside the control board.
With a little luck it could be the Molex plug that is corroded ( easy to clean/fix ), but most likely it's the relay supplying a neutral to the entire stove that has worn contacts ( arcing ).
David in Ontario should be able to repair the board if it turns out that the relay is worn out. His price is around $98 for a standard repair, return shipping included. Link to Davids ad on Kijiji.ca with contact info : http://www.kijiji.ca/v-heater-humid...i-plus-control-board-repair-service/265783976

If the 'conv. fan' voltage on the test ports is ok, then the voltage drop must be in the Molex plug or the wiring. If not, then it's most likely a worn relay. It is possible to take a voltage reading directly on the output terminals of the relay in order the check its function. If the voltage drop occurs inside the relay, some heat will be dissipated there... it will turn hot.
Take care, if you have to dismantle the board and measure with live line voltage on the board!
View attachment 166458
Thanks for the information all do some testing and give an update.

Status
Not open for further replies.