Programmable Thermostat Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryger

Feb 25, 2011
CT
I replaced my thermostat that came with the Santa Fe with a Honeywell RTH6350D 1000/A 5-2 day Programmable Thermostat . I wanted more control than just an on-off stat. My question is does anyone use this stat? My concern is the constant shutting down and restarting of the stove. Worried about igniter issues down the road. When the stat is satisfied the unit shuts down obviously, however the unit starts back up very quickly like 10 minutes or so later. I feel like that temperature difference in the room hasn't changed (this is also proven by looking at the room temp readout on the stat). So why is the stove restarting so fast. I think I need to look at the differential settings on the stat and modify them.

In the mean time has anyone who owns this stat experienced this and do you have any recommendations.

Thanks

Check your Stat's manual to see if there is a setting to increase the swing. If it set a 1 degree increase it to 1 1/2 or 2 degree's. This will give more time before it cycles on again.

I was just doing some research on my stat and I read the following:

the only way to change the differential temperature is by adjusting the cycle rate. The cycle rate determines how often heating is turned on and off over a specific period of time. If you want your heating unit to turn on less frequently and run longer, lower the cycle rate. You cannot change the differential setting by a specific number of degrees on digital Honeywell thermostats.

More confused?? Any thoughts?

The long and short of it is that that thermostat doesn't have a user settable swing differential.

SmokeyTheBear said:
The long and short of it is that that thermostat doesn't have a user settable swing differential.

I installed a Honeywell TH6320R1004 Wireless FocusPRO 5-1-1 Programmable thermostat when I installed my stove this summer.

It never dawned on me about the "swing" temp issue until I started burning a few weeks ago. I tried adjusting the "cycles per hour" but it made no difference. The stove was on and off constantly. My thermostat is not that close to the stove either, about 12'.

I bought a Skytech 5301P this week and installed it last night. It has an adjustable swing. The programmable part is a little weird but overall it seems to work much better and the stove runs for 1-2 hours before shutting off. I have it set at a 2 degree swing.

Maybe adjusting your cycles per hour will work better than mine did. It's worth a try before pulling it out.

Cycle rate is used more often with A/C compressors. They are normally required to stop for a certain period of time before they kick back on so that the motor isn't trying to start if the system is already pressurized.

What you will be able to do with that thermostat is prevent the stove from turning back on for a period of XX minutes after shutting down. After XX minutes go by, it works as a standard thermostat again, turning on when the temperature is below your level. With this situation, you may find your house too cold before it kicks back on.

You're probably better off looking for a stat with an adjustable differential.

There are several on here recommended by others.

Good luck!

GrahamInVa said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

I bought a Skytech 5301P this week and installed it last night. It has an adjustable swing. The programmable part is a little weird but overall it seems to work much better and the stove runs for 1-2 hours before shutting off. I have it set at a 2 degree swing.

Use same one and works great. Set to 2 deg swing.

EDITED: Mine is actually the basic 3301p with simple LCD screen.

richkorn said:
GrahamInVa said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

looks cool too, right?

105162910-260x260-0-0_Skytech+Skytech+5301P+Fireplace+Remote+touch+scree.jpg

GrahamInVa said:
richkorn said:
GrahamInVa said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

looks cool too, right?

105162910-260x260-0-0_Skytech+Skytech+5301P+Fireplace+Remote+touch+scree.jpg

Yes it does. It also looks expensive.

gerryger said:
I replaced my thermostat that came with the Santa Fe with a Honeywell RTH6350D 1000/A 5-2 day Programmable Thermostat . I wanted more control than just an on-off stat. My question is does anyone use this stat? My concern is the constant shutting down and restarting of the stove. Worried about igniter issues down the road. When the stat is satisfied the unit shuts down obviously, however the unit starts back up very quickly like 10 minutes or so later. I feel like that temperature difference in the room hasn't changed (this is also proven by looking at the room temp readout on the stat). So why is the stove restarting so fast. I think I need to look at the differential settings on the stat and modify them.

In the mean time has anyone who owns this stat experienced this and do you have any recommendations.

Thanks

I have a Honeywell 5-2 Thermostat with No Swing setting, so I use it like a Timer in the shoulder seasons.

I set 1st time setting to 80 deg F at 3:00 AM and the stove comes on to a lower heat setting. Then the 2nd time setting at 10 AM I set the stat to 50 Deg F to turn the stove off. For the time setting 3 and 4, I keep it set at 50 deg F so the stove stays off.

Simple cheap and works great. No igniter issues!

Attachments

• PS2PelletStoveAutoHeatDistribution 110SC.jpg
    PS2PelletStoveAutoHeatDistribution 110SC.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 677
Yea, you are basically screwed with that one! The Ritetemp 6022 or 6025 both have swing adjustments and are very reasonably priced at around $30 for the 6022, which I've had for 2+ years. Like someone else said, It sounds like you have the present one in a bad location where a draft or cool air from another room is hitting it. Maybe if you put it inside one of those boxes that is meant to keep people from constantly adjusting it, the temperature change would take longer to affect it. Just a suggestion.

I looked at Lowes and they have a Lux thermostat for $19 with 9 adjustments for swing. It's stock number is LTX500e. On the LUX site, it is TX500E. That's where I got the swing numbers. If it were me, I'd ask to read the directions at Lowes before I bought it to ensure it has the swing settings.
http://www.lowes.com/pl_Programmable+Thermostats_4294821951_4294937087_?Ns=p_product_price|0

You can spend a lot more but WHY???? All you are doing is programming a contact to open and close when you want it to. Not rocket science.

tjnamtiw said:
I looked at Lowes and they have a Lux thermostat for $19 with 9 adjustments for swing. It's stock number is LTX500e. On the LUX site, it is TX500E. That's where I got the swing numbers. If it were me, I'd ask to read the directions at Lowes before I bought it to ensure it has the swing settings.
http://www.lowes.com/pl_Programmable+Thermostats_4294821951_4294937087_?Ns=p_product_price|0

You can spend a lot more but WHY???? All you are doing is programming a contact to open and close when you want it to. Not rocket science.

That's the thermostat I'd probably get but I don't have easy access for wiring anything so I guess I'll have to save my pennies for a wireless one.

If its possible? I'd return that honeywell and go for a ritetemp or lux. Easiest way out.

Lux TX500e has been doing dandy for me for several years now.

I really don't think my stat is in a bad location and causing the problem. For instance if I set it to turn the unit off when room temp hits 70 degrees, it does it. However it is turning back on a short time later, with the stat still indicating a 70 degree room temp. How can it start and turn off at the same room temp. May as well keep it running non-stop using that scenario. The fact that it doesn't have a swing setting is my problem. A bad oversight on Honeywell's part. Looking into the Skytech 5301P or the Lux.

The bottom line in my opinion is if a stat doesn't have a swing differential setting then it shouldn't be used for a pellet stove.

As far as using my current stat during the shoulder season by basically using it as a timer ... I agree, it will work using that method as a timer.

The Honeywell Thermostat that I have lists a feature as having a "0.2 Degree differential, maintaining a steady temperature" Which works well for my Englander in Hi/Low Mode, but is really bad for a stove working in an On/Off mode.

BeGreen said:
I had an inexpensive Lux on my pellet stove. I think it was the TX500. It has a user settable swing differential.

I just read the manual for this stat. It does have a swing setting adjustment however it is based on cycles per hour, not temperature difference.

Looking for one that is based on temp like the SkyTech model, however its $200.

gerryger said:
BeGreen said:
I had an inexpensive Lux on my pellet stove. I think it was the TX500. It has a user settable swing differential.

I just read the manual for this stat. It does have a swing setting adjustment however it is based on cycles per hour, not temperature difference.

There are other Skytech models that are less expensive. The 3301P is a good one.
$110 w/ shipping on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skytech-330...aultDomain_0&hash=item2c5f9db3cd#ht_500wt_922

gerryger said:
BeGreen said:

I can see why the confusion, by increasing the swing, the result will be the device coming on less frequently per hour. That is where the manual is probably confusing you. But for sure, the swing setting for this unit controls the difference between the on/off temps. I have installed several and am positive this is the way it works.

A thermostat works by turning your heating or cooling system on and off whenever the room temperature varies a certain number of degrees from the set-point temperature. This variation is the “swing.â€

The setting on this unit varies the swing, not the frequency. The increments are in half degrees if memory serves me correctly.

gerryger, where is your thermostat in relation to the stove? If it is in the same room that could be a problem. If that is the case you might try moving it around the corner or on the opposite side of the wall it is installed on (if that is possible).

gerryger said:
BeGreen said:

I can assure you the Lux TX 500 does have the adjustable swing setting.

Quote from manual
SWING SETTING
A thermostat works by turning your heating or cooling system on and off
whenever the room temperature varies from the set-point temperature. The
amount of this variation is called the “swing.†Your system should cycle on about
3 to 6 times per hour. A smaller swing number increases the number of cycles per
hour, so the room temperature is more precise and constant. A larger swing
number decreases the number of cycles per hour, but saves energy in most cases.
To change the Swing setting, turn the dial to RUN mode. Hold down the NEXT
button and push the HOLD button once, then let go of both. The words SWING and
SET will appear on the screen with a number. Use the UP/DOWN buttons to
change the number value between 1 and 9. Number 1 is the default setting. Press
the NEXT button to accept the setting and return to normal Run mode.

No value of the swing is listed in the TX500e manual. Someone(kevinc) checked the Lux 9100e and it states .25 degrees for each number increased.

Default #1 is .25 degrees(stat set at 70ºF stove comes on at 69.75ºF and goes off at 70.25ºF) If you want more time between cycles you can raise it to 4 which is 1º of swing.

BeGreen said:
gerryger, where is your thermostat in relation to the stove? If it is in the same room that could be a problem.

It is located directly behind the stove which is where the installer suggested. I'm not sure how moving the stat to another location will help with the short cycling. Lets say I move the stat far away from the stove and I set the stat at 70 to turn the stove off when room temp reaches 70....the stat does turn off the stove. The problem is the stat will turn the stove back on when it sees a .02 degree temp drop in the room. How does moving the location of the stat change this equation. Once the room temp drops .02 degrees the stove will start which is usually about 5 minutes. I want the stat to turn the stove back on when the room temp drops to 68 or 67 degrees.

I will check out the lux or the skytech models.

The air around the stove will warm up much more quickly than the air say 10 feet away. By having it further from the stove, you will be warming the entire room by .2 degrees which will take a lot longer than warming the air near the stove.

I would put it on a far wall, not in direct line with the room blower.

Isn't it a .2 degrees temp drop of the room temperature that will make the stove turn back on. This drop should take longer around the stove and yet it still restarts in only about 5 minutes.

The problem is not with the stove turning off...it is with the restarting.

Status
Not open for further replies.