Progress Hybrid owners-unloading question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sam_j

Feb 16, 2007
Wilson NC
My baby is at the terminal and I have to get her home and unloaded. Can I slide it off my truck on to the porch with two or three 2x12s or 2x16s? Is this feasible?

As in by yourself?

Maybe, but personally I wouldn't try it. I didn't find that the crate actually slid very well, but when I unloaded mine I didn't have much slope to the 2Xs. I used a pallet jack with forks that didn't fit the pallet, so it was an adventure. You could probably do it the way you propose, but I would have minimum of one helper. Also, I would block under the 2Xs, just in case. That sucker is heavy!

How did you get it off the pallet jack into your house?

If we end up getting ours (it's on order) we plan on doing similar to what you are suggesting. The difference will be the use of a piano dolly.

Dolly.jpg

This is how we got the Fireview into our house. I did unload it from the trailer and onto the dolly by myself but for getting it into the house, we had a couple neighbors (strong guys) help. We did not uncrate it until it was directly in front of the hearth. It worked great and yes, we used 2 x 12's.

How did you get it off the pallet jack into your house?

With the jack slightly raised, I just pushed it until one side rested on the hearth. The crate did slide well on the pallet jack since there is such little surface area and the metal is smooth. Then, I blocked under the crate where it met the jack. Lower the jack and remove.

The hard part was getting it on the jack, since the crate does not fit a standard pallet jack. I had to use one fork and raise it a bit at a time and block until I could fit the low part (runners) right on the forks. It wasn't that bad.

Just keep in mind, the stove is over 700 lbs, think leverage, and take your time. I strongly suggest at least one helper.

With the jack slightly raised, I just pushed it until one side rested on the hearth. The crate did slide well on the pallet jack since there is such little surface area and the metal is smooth. Then, I blocked under the crate where it met the jack. Lower the jack and remove.

The hard part was getting it on the jack, since the crate does not fit a standard pallet jack. I had to use one fork and raise it a bit at a time and block until I could fit the low part (runners) right on the forks. It wasn't that bad.

Just keep in mind, the stove is over 700 lbs, think leverage, and take your time. I strongly suggest at least one helper.[/quote

So that wasn't the best description. I loaded it onto the pallet jack in the back of the pick up, rolled it down 2x10s into the house, then did what I described above. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.