Progress without me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JP11

Minister of Fire
May 15, 2011
Central Maine
I spent the almost the entire day aloft. Long day of flying. I was glad to get some pictures from my wife. Seems the guys got a lot done today. Not much left.

DSC_4340.jpgDSC_4341.jpg

What is the blue part on the return line?
That's the "danfoss" made in Wisconsin I think it is. I'm sure henfruit could provide the specifics.. he sold it to me. Return water protection. It's just not the danfoss brand.

Plumber couldn't find a 011with IFC.. so he put a real flow check on the out leg. Just talked to them. Expansion tanks have been found. Couple of SX110Vs getting delivered Thurs. Rest of the plumbing and electrical on Friday.

Maybe get to fire it Saturday. I've got a part time flying job on Fri.. It'll pay for ONE expansion tank anyway. :)

That's going to be quite a horizontal flue arrangement coming out of your boiler. I bet she's going to be a bit of a handful on cold startups. Is your system being plumbed with 1" pipe? It's hard to tell from the photo.

That's going to be quite a horizontal flue arrangement coming out of your boiler. I bet she's going to be a bit of a handful on cold startups. Is your system being plumbed with 1" pipe? It's hard to tell from the photo.

Plumbing is 1.5 inch. Horizontal flue.. but it's short, and above that is about 40 feet of chimney. Should be plenty of draft. Draft inducer for when the door is open.

Lookin' good! May I suggest you have your guys install an isolation valve on your air eliminator. They're right on the shelf at F. W. Webb. 1/8th female on one end and 1/8 male on the other.
Hope you enjoy your boiler as much as I enjoy mine.

just in case of leaks fred?

Told the plumber I'd like to add the valve. I do have an air scoop type air eliminator on the out leg of oil boiler.. so all the water will be passing thru that one.

I've got simple air eliminator on top of wood boiler, and one on top of each tank.

JP

It's just another mechanical component that probably will not last forever. You will install a means to isolate circulators, zone valves, etc. so they will be able to be removed or replaced in the future and although less complicated the air eliminator is also susceptable to failure. Better than draining down your system just to change a component.
On a previous installation, I had one fail so after changing it out, I did an autopsy on it and found a waxy substance interfering with the action of the float. The substance turned out to be a glob of soldering paste that over time had been scavenged from the system and accumulated in the air eliminator.

Not to sure the flow check is nessecery there. I had one in my circulator when I started out. I removed it so the boiler could thermosiphen to storage in a power outage. It does thermosiphen if the boiler is hot, but after it cools some I don't get any flow threw the boiler. It shouldn't hurt anything other than some head pressure though.

That's what I figured. Mark told me he always uses flowcheck pumps. It won't hurt flow much, and I have an automatic generator that supplies the whole house. Plumber couldn't get the flowcheck pump.. so he bought the real thing.

What is the black box above your tridicator?

Good observation! That is something that should be on every sealed boiler and in fact is code required on all boilers. It's called a low water cut off and its function is to shut down the boiler should it go into a low/no water condition for any reason. At least that is what it looks like and it's located correctly in the piping layout.

One is O2. Other is Temp.

That's the part I like. No messing with much of anything yourself. Throw in whatever dry wood.. It'll figure it out, run the pumps, and shut off when it's done.

Ah man JP... I better stop looking at this thread.... I feel another case of boiler envy comin on. Shiny copper and a boiler that tunes itself. Very cool.

Ah man JP... I better stop looking at this thread.... I feel another case of boiler envy comin on. Shiny copper and a boiler that tunes itself. Very cool.
know just what you mean.... I'm so close to tipping over on a new Stihl I can't even DRIVE past the place. :)

I'm actually in the process of putting my Vigas together as much as possible myself and I have to admit I've been cheating by copying some of JP's pics. Thanks for the help!

Don't feel bad at all. I just wrote checks for mine. That and stood there saying.. YES.. put wells there, there and there for thermometers. Now that it's all in and going.. they see why i wanted everything the way it is. I'm still fighting a couple sticky aquastats.. but that's pretty minor.

where did you put the thermometers? Above the outlet for the boiler, 2 in the tank? anywhere else?
Don't feel bad at all. I just wrote checks for mine. That and stood there saying.. YES.. put wells there, there and there for thermometers. Now that it's all in and going.. they see why i wanted everything the way it is. I'm still fighting a couple sticky aquastats.. but that's pretty minor.

where did you put the thermometers? Above the outlet for the boiler, 2 in the tank? anywhere else?

Did you use a honeywell ts-130 for the emergency dump if you lose power?

Yes on the dump. I have a automatic standby gen, so I didn't need anything else more complicated.

I have..

2 manual temps on storage vents. (one on top of each 500)
2 temp on in and out leg of primary loop that feeds oil boiler loads
2 temp on wood boiler. input and output.

I also put 4 digital probes in the tanks. they are at the elbows on the supply/return from boiler. Those tie to a little digital internet enabled box. I lost one of them in the spray foam process. But I have two upper tank readouts, and one lower tank readout. I haven't gotten around to setting them up to email my wife when she needs to load the boiler :)

JP

Good call Chris. JP I love to see copper!

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.