Proof that my wood does not season in the winter......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fire_man

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
North Eastern MA
My guess is not a whole lot of seasoning is going on in those stacks.There is a couple cord buried somewhere in there. I think I need a wood shed or something. :long:

Attachments

• Winter_Seasoningc.jpg
    Winter_Seasoningc.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 713
I am usually one of the guys who would respond that wood does season in the winter, but in this case I think I agree with you.

My wood looks like that, but it dont season in the winter with out the snow.

O K I agree wood does't season in winter, Thats proof enough for me :zip:

Wood Duck said:
I am usually one of the guys who would respond that wood does season in the winter, but in this case I think I agree with you.

We all have to agree with Tony on this one. :lol:

I had the sledge on high gear today! Whats the real issue here? Ground hog see his shadow or what?

+2
I think you're right Tony
Nice looking wood shed though, I thought only Alaska used igloos :)

But those 5 pieces on the end/corner might be a little drier, "mark" them so you know they're more seasoned than the rest :lol:

So the question is..........does dead wood continue to decay, regardless of season...........

Alright, I'll bite..........I'd think that the wood's aging process would be retarded, since molecularly it is frozen. Heat something, and the molecules go crazy..........freeze them, and they go into suspension mode (basic Science class stuff from 8th Grade, right?). Isn't that what Cryogenics is all about?????? Freezing to retard putrification??????

-Soupy1957

Wood still seasons.

Put your laundry out on the line in the winter. It will freeze but it will still dry. Will just take much much longer.

Also if the snow is dry and poutery then it will draw moisture out of the wood.

There's a good chance someone has stolen all of my stacks - I haven't seen them in a month....

fire_man said:
My guess is not a whole lot of seasoning is going on in those stacks.There is a couple cord buried somewhere in there. I think I need a wood shed or something. :long:

What wood? Tony, I don't see any wood....just snow.

drozenski said:
Wood still seasons.

Put your laundry out on the line in the winter. It will freeze but it will still dry. Will just take much much longer.

Also if the snow is dry and poutery then it will draw moisture out of the wood.
Ducks are going to fly out of my ass real soon.

"I" made SENSE????? Well, .............that's a FIRST!!

-Soupy1957

Status
Not open for further replies.