Propane connection questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
I'm installing my new garage heater and have a slight issue with the connection. The gas regulator on the heater calls for a 3/8" NPT nipple as per the manual, but I tried threading a 3/8" black pipe nipple in that was just laying around and it didn't seem to want to go. I didn't want to force it because the regulator is aluminum and I didn't want to risk wrecking the threads. It's definitely not a flare connection either. What am I missing here?

Shouldn't be any problem. I'd try buying a new black nipple. I don't know how much I'd trust old components in gas setups anyway...

Matt

get a 3/8 npt to flare connector and eliminate one connection
the propane flare will go right on

ironpony said:

I get what you're saying here, but the issue is that the NPT nipple doesn't seem to want to thread into the regulator-is there a possibility it's some weird kind of thread? Left handed thread maybe?

Bondo said:
Badfish740 said:
ironpony said:

I get what you're saying here, but the issue is that the NPT nipple doesn't seem to want to thread into the regulator-is there a possibility it's some weird kind of thread? Left handed thread maybe?

Nope,... I'd sooner think your nipple has dented threads, before I'd believe the regulator Don't use standard pipe threads...

agreed, try a new nipple
take the regulator to the store with you
could be a regulator with bad threads, pipe threads are tapered
and it might not of been threaded deep enough

Status
Not open for further replies.