Proper operation of my Glacier Bay

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RunningCold

Dec 10, 2010
South Central PA
New member here. I have a Glacier Bay wood/coal stove I'd like to use on cold nights. But I'm having trouble getting the right balance of heat and draft. I've tried playing around with the two knobs on the front, but I guess I don't know what I'm doing because I can't seem to get it right. Also, I'm not sure if the flue door is open or closed. With a fire going, I've tried turning the knob above the stove with little change to the amount of updraft. I go outside and there seems to be good flow coming out but I just can't be sure. Attached is a picture of a stove that is a very similar to mine. Thanks again for any help you can provide.

RunningCold.

Attachments

• Glacier Bay Wood_Coal Stove.jpg
    Glacier Bay Wood_Coal Stove.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 219
I feel bad for you RC . . . but I don't have a Glacier Bay so I can't help you . . . but I will bump this to the top to see if anyone might give you some pointers.

Bottom spin draft is for coal burning only. Keep that closed if you're burning wood and use the spin draft on the top door to regulate the burn rate. Look up inside the stove without it lit to verify that you have the flue damper open. You can use the flue damper to regulate the burn rate to some extent also.

Status
Not open for further replies.