Proper pellet level in burnpot-Sante Fe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yellowdog

Dec 3, 2010
Central Michigan
Greetings
New poster here. I have used the wealth of info on the forums before buyig my Sante Fe last year. My question revolves around the depth of the pellets burning in the burnpot. On low setting my depth is about 1/2 inch, nice even burn, flame sometimes rises to a max of 3 to 4 inches above rim of pot, but usually level with the rim. When I turn the stove to medium the pellets fill to just under halfway point or about 2-3 inches deep (after only 30 minutes or so)which seems way too high, so I shut her down and let the fan blow burn out the coals and restart. I'm just afraid that as quickly as that fills up that it might lead to an over fire during the night. The feed rate setting is all the way down or lowest rate possible and I'm burning Unle Jeds softwood pellets that I had godd luck with last year. The Pro-pellets I bought recenty, I returned because they would not burn completely and I was having a clinker within 12 hours and the pot filled up too fast, that's why I switched. Now the condition is better on low but the medium setting seems to fill up too fast. Anyone experience this, or is that level of pellets burning accepable? The stove has a one-ton cleaning cycle performed every saturday (baffles,tubes,vent etc). Thanks in advance

yellowdog said:
Greetings
New poster here. I have used the wealth of info on the forums before buyig my Sante Fe last year. My question revolves around the depth of the pellets burning in the burnpot. On low setting my depth is about 1/2 inch, nice even burn, flame sometimes rises to a max of 3 to 4 inches above rim of pot, but usually level with the rim. When I turn the stove to medium the pellets fill to just under halfway point or about 2-3 inches deep (after only 30 minutes or so)which seems way too high, so I shut her down and let the fan blow burn out the coals and restart. I'm just afraid that as quickly as that fills up that it might lead to an over fire during the night. The feed rate setting is all the way down or lowest rate possible and I'm burning Unle Jeds softwood pellets that I had godd luck with last year. The Pro-pellets I bought recenty, I returned because they would not burn completely and I was having a clinker within 12 hours and the pot filled up too fast, that's why I switched. Now the condition is better on low but the medium setting seems to fill up too fast. Anyone experience this, or is that level of pellets burning accepable? The stove has a one-ton cleaning cycle performed every saturday (baffles,tubes,vent etc). Thanks in advance

Exhaust blower and the cavity it is in need to be cleaned as well and are all of those holes in the burn pot completely open and the burn pot gasket good?

Is there anything in the the air intake like a child's toy.

Perhaps the damper has been disturbed or even the feed adjustment in the hopper if that stove has one.

nuYooper said:
Does your flame look like a tourch or a pumpkin?

Very good analogy !

Hey Yellow I have a Castile which is a little different animal but not by much and was burning Rocky Mountains and went to Pro Pellets this year and have a lot more ash also. I did have to run my feed slide all of the way closed to keep the burn under control. I used to have low burn issues with another pellet that I had trouble with and I did find the info in here (thanks guys). I didn't have enough burn and the slide for the pellets was all of the way up. I was asked in here about tuning up the speed of the control box which helped.

My question is....If yours isn't set to the factory setting this could be your problem.

Its a little black rotating switch only reachable with a small screwdriver. There was a recent list for that setup available. Just remember not to forget to unplug the stove~

Thanks

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.