Proper pellet storage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fullfatboy

Sep 20, 2011
Washington Crossing, PA
As I enter my first year with my Harman Accentra insert I am working on two things, which pellets to buy and how to store them. I believe I have access to Hardwood Heat, Stove Chow and Maine Wood Pellets. I think these are all solid choices?
So once I buy a pallet and bring them home can I store them outside if they are out of the rain?
How about inside a garage?
Do I have to store inside my home for best results?
THANKS FROM THE NEWBY!

The main concern is to keep them good and dry. I store mine in my garage, in a dry place were the floor doesn't get wet.

I'm storing mine in my garage until my house is rebuilt. I will then move them to my basement.

I used to store them outside in my screened in porch but one year the bags still got wet somehow and I had to throw away about 30 bags or so.

Garage is fine. I used to store mine in the very back on double stacked pallets. I built a pellet crib/room in the basment last season. Holds a little over 7 ton.

Anything thats properly covered. A lot of people store them outside. I would opt against it, by all means possible. Bags of pellets have small holes throughout and can be easily invaded by water. Once a pellet gets wet, its life is over. I prefer to kill my BTU's with my stove.

My 2 cents....

If you dont have the space in a garage or barn or shed you can try an additional tarp over them. Everything dry is OK...and maybe easily accessible helps at -20F too, but thats just convenience...

Stove Chow was a no go for me last year, but I dont want to start another pellet religious war here. Have a look at J Takemans tests either here or on the web and see his temp readings for different brands. Although the absolute numbers will differ for you (and maybe some of the relative ranking as well) - it gives you a goof idea of what is high quality, medium and low.

I did my own checking with everything I copuld get in my area and I get the same ranking with an entirely different stove.

My lesson from last year (which was my first) is that spent the maximum money you can on good pellets, makes less work, more heat and much more enjoyment.

I think what drew peeps to the Stove Chow was the economic price. If they were closer in price to what some of the others were fetching? Probably less of a buzz about them.

When Lowes had Greene Teams and Stove Chow at the same price I chose the GT's! If Somersets were there for the same coin? I would have carted them home instead! Just saying!

I've been stressing about pellets so I'm probably just going to get Hamers's Hot One's and leave it that. Seems like no one has anything bad to say about those. Really appreciate all the reply's. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.