ps40 ignitor power issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jesshb5

Nov 21, 2010
Flagstaff, AZ
Hello all! I have benefited greatly from these forums - thank you! Now I have an issue to post myself:
We have a Winslow PS40 model pellet stove and have generally had good luck with it - replaced an ignitor and a fuse or two in the past. After another ignitor issue, we ordered a new one, expecting to fix the problem. After much cleaning and servicing, we put in the new ignitor but remained with an ignition problem. We tried tested both the new and old ignitors for resistance and got ~60 ohms for each. Neither ignitor got warm/hot in the slightest when attached. I tested the current across the bus (negative) and purple wire (positive) and it only got up to about 7.5 volts, far shy of the 120 I would expect. I popped out and cleaned the molex connector on the control box (and didn't see anything grievously wrong) but still ended up without the ignitor working. The stove works great if I manually fire the pot in the beginning and will run perfectly until I shut it off. My question would be whether there is something I can do with the molex connector and/or whether I would need a new control box? Appears to be a localized problem with just the ignitor wire (purple) since everything else if functioning properly. Any suggestions? The specification/manual is here, http://www.lennoxhearthproducts.com/resources/manual/PS40_09_19_06.pdf, for reference. Thank you for your time!

disconnect leads from igniter check voltage on leads from stove wiring to igniter . should be 120 volt + or- 10% . next step try from one lead of stove to ground then do the same for other lead to ground post results this will tell if you have open neutral. next take a old cord and connect 120. volts directly to igniter plug in to 120 volt outlet . igniter glow cherry read after 4 or 5 minutes .if not igniter is bad post results and i will try to help

i look at the schematic . download from your link with a meter check between purple wire and ground do you get 120 volts ?

Meter check between purple wire and ground only gives me about 7.5 volts, so pretty sure its the purple wire from the molex connector on the control box. I don't have a schematic of the control box board/wiring though, so not sure if there's a way to see if I can do a simple fix or need another control box? Thank you for your help!

the schematic is in the manual link you posted. are going purple wire to to the steel of stove for the ground ? also did you try power up the igniter with a test cord to 120 volt power directly? this will confirm the igniter is good if if glows cherry red. also unplug molex connector and test continuity from purple wire back to molex connector .this confirm if wire is good from molex connector back to end of wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.