PT1000 Sensors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robby

Nov 9, 2008
Priddis, AB, Canada
Need electronics help. I have two differential controllers, one that interfaces between solar and boiler systems ( it has 6 inputs) and the second that controls boiler to storage tank(3 inputs). Solar and boiler share 1200 gal pressurized tank via coil in tank.

1. Can two (or more) controllers or thermometers share PT1000 sensor? They are straight resistance value = temperature.

2. Does anyone know where I can purchase a thermometer that uses PT1000 sensors? I can always buy another controller and just use it as a thermometer, but I was hoping to do it less costly.

Nofossil, maybe you would be able to direct me!!

Robby

Electronic boards measure the temp of resistive sensor by applying a voltage and using what's called a "voltage divider", i.e. tje control board also supplies's it's own fixed resistor for the circuit, and it's actually by measuring the voltage between the two resistors (the temp sensor and the internal resister) that the control board measures temp.

Placing two controls in parallel, using the same temp sensor, will throw off both because now the internal resisters are in parallel and neither controller will read the temp correctly.

At least that's my experience, but maybe I'm all wet.

Yes, you can use one RTD for two controllers but you would need an PT 1000 RTD signal splitter/conditioner which would use an external power source. This will isolate the signal for each controller. Typically you will spend alot more trying to make this work than just running another RTD. An example of one is at http://www.apcs.com/ssp235/ssp235.html but there are others. Do a search.

Mike

jdeere5220 said:
Electronic boards measure the temp of resistive sensor by applying a voltage and using what's called a "voltage divider", i.e. tje control board also supplies's it's own fixed resistor for the circuit, and it's actually by measuring the voltage between the two resistors (the temp sensor and the internal resister) that the control board measures temp.

Placing two controls in parallel, using the same temp sensor, will throw off both because now the internal resisters are in parallel and neither controller will read the temp correctly.

At least that's my experience, but maybe I'm all wet.

That's correct. As steam man notes, there are conditioners that can take care of it. If periodic readings (say, once per minute) are sufficient, it's also possible to use a sequencer that gives each control a reading, in turn.

However, a second sensor is a lot cheaper...

Joe

Well heck, that answers that question.

Does anyone know where I can purchase the PT1000 with silicon coated wire that is good to 350F. I will need some of these as the standard ones that came with controllers only 160F.

I attached picture, hope it worked of the sensors.

Robby

Attachments

• PT1000 sensors.JPG
    PT1000 sensors.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 281
I got my PT1000 sensors with a Resol controller at http://www.sssolar.com/. In use 2 (if I remember correctly) silicon insulated wired ones and two regular ones. One silicon one is outside and another I put down a long thermowell into a tank that has been to 170deg with no ill affect. They have both available.

Mike

OK first part sorted out. I was contacted privately and lead to thermometer site.

WATER STORAGE: I have about 10,000 lbs of stroage (1200 gal). The tank weighs about 2000 lbs. Do you add the steel weight to the overall storage capacity? Steel does not store as well as water, but it still stores?

Thanks,

Robby

Status
Not open for further replies.