Pulled the trigger on a different OWB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOutdoors

May 12, 2008
Lempster, NH
After a few months of figuring/pondering, I pulled the trigger on purchasing a Sequoya E3300 OWB. This is Sequoya's EPA certified OWB. It boiled down to not having heat storage and being able to have an outside location for the boiler and wood. My neighbor has the E-Classic and it looks like a solid unit but I was afraid of the complexity of the electronics. I'm not putting the CB down, I personally like things on the simple side. Time will tell if I made the right decision, but so far the customer service has been great and I'm awaiting the arrival of the unit in early November..hopefully! I'll give a good write up once it's running. It will be nice to compare how the boilers operate.

It seems everyone is getting into the EPA certified OWB's. Greenwood--Aspen series; CB--E classic; Sequoya---E3300/3400; Heatmor---Response;Wood Doctor--converter; Crown Royal--RS 5000 E.

Because sooner or later the non-epa stoves won't be legal.........

MyOutdoors said:
After a few months of figuring/pondering, I pulled the trigger on purchasing a Sequoya E3300 OWB. This is Sequoya's EPA certified OWB. It boiled down to not having heat storage and being able to have an outside location for the boiler and wood. My neighbor has the E-Classic and it looks like a solid unit but I was afraid of the complexity of the electronics. I'm not putting the CB down, I personally like things on the simple side. Time will tell if I made the right decision, but so far the customer service has been great and I'm awaiting the arrival of the unit in early November..hopefully! I'll give a good write up once it's running. It will be nice to compare how the boilers operate.

It seems everyone is getting into the EPA certified OWB's. Greenwood--Aspen series; CB--E classic; Sequoya---E3300/3400; Heatmor---Response;Wood Doctor--converter; Crown Royal--RS 5000 E.

Taylor 750 Epa Certified (UL Labratory Approved)

I don't know what "epa certified" means. Do these boilers have the orange tag? Are they gasifiers? Also, I'll be curious to hear how the Sequoya works. I believe that's a gasifying OWB just like the CB E Classic.

To be more precise, there are two phases of EPA Certification. The orange tag means it meets Phase I guidelines. A newer white tag will be put on units that meet Phase II - a higher standard set to go into effect in 2010. I bought the CB E Classic because in the EPA testing it met Phase I and II. Some outdoor pellet stoves are now listed on this site. See http://www.epa.gov/woodheaters/models.htm

Pete

Eric Johnson said:
I don't know what "epa certified" means. Do these boilers have the orange tag? Are they gasifiers? Also, I'll be curious to hear how the Sequoya works. I believe that's a gasifying OWB just like the CB E Classic.

I wonder how much of a nightmare it is for the stove manufacturer to get the EPA cert.................... Sounds like a government way to put the local guy building OWB's right out of business... Like alot of other govm't regs.

Figures..........

I read where it cost the mfg. $ 60,000. to get his rig tested, the Sequoya Co. tested the E3400 only, and it passed Phase I, I also heard/read the new machine, the E3300B has or will pass Phase I and II. I think eventually the E3300 will pass or will be so much like the E3400, the EPA will allow it. The E3300B is / will be $800 to $1500 more than the E3300.
In Mass., the new rules for OWB, may/might go into effect on Nov. 1, those rules will most likely have to do with setback: Keeping the stove a certain distance from your neighbors home/property line. Being a Phase I stove will also be IMPORTANT, especially as time goes on.
The new rules may or may not take effect in Nov. 08, BUT the powers that be, may take a little longer. The public hearings have come and gone, now it's time for the big bosses to amend the proposed rules changes. I may be wrong on some of this but I did get almost all of it from the top. Paul

I put the boiler back to the projected "new" rules, 300' from any neighbors etc. I got the permit pulled without a problem, which was a pleasant surprise. I live in a town of "small town politics".

p_ray_cha said:
I read where it cost the mfg. $ 60,000. to get his rig tested, the Sequoya Co. tested the E3400 only, and it passed Phase I, I also heard/read the new machine, the E3300B has or will pass Phase I and II. I think eventually the E3300 will pass or will be so much like the E3400, the EPA will allow it. The E3300B is / will be $800 to $1500 more than the E3300.
In Mass., the new rules for OWB, may/might go into effect on Nov. 1, those rules will most likely have to do with setback: Keeping the stove a certain distance from your neighbors home/property line. Being a Phase I stove will also be IMPORTANT, especially as time goes on.
The new rules may or may not take effect in Nov. 08, BUT the powers that be, may take a little longer. The public hearings have come and gone, now it's time for the big bosses to amend the proposed rules changes. I may be wrong on some of this but I did get almost all of it from the top. Paul

That is absolutely INSANE!! With prices like that, small guys like me could never have a hope of bringing a product to market........

Several things to keep in mind concerning regulation. First, good intention. Most regulations start with good intention to actually improve the public welfare. Second, control by the regulated. The industry regulated, due to $ self-interest, lobbying, and real and feigned expertise, soon takes over substantial control of the regulating body. Third, regulations with a purpose to limit competition. While most regulations have a public purpose, they also have an unstated purpose of limiting competition and protecting those already in the biz from new competitors.

Thus, certification standards and cost, if complicated enough to force a high enough cost, will prevent new entrants, and those who controlled the process have a pretty good lock on the future. Not saying that the final regs don't still serve a public purpose, only that the same public purpose in most cases now also includes a lot of private anti-competitive purposes which raise the cost to the public.

Exactly. Whenever the govt goes where it doesn't belong, it hurts the consumer and everyone else...... Constitutionally, the govt has No right to regulate private business, and when they do, they just cause the price of things to go up without ever really fixing the real problem. (Look at emissions in cars, old flat-head Fords have less emissions than most 90's cars....) It's all about money for the big guys, as they're the ones behind the corruption....

Whenever the govt goes where it doesn’t belong, it hurts the consumer and everyone else...... Constitutionally, the govt has No right to regulate private business, and when they do, they just cause the price of things to go up without ever really fixing the real problem.

It often seems that way, but it's not so black and white. And I think you are in error to say that the Constitution does not give the right to regulate private business. There is no useful purpose in arguing that because it has been so well established over our 200+ year history. And States hold concurrent power or additional power that the Federal govt does not hold.

While we all wish things would "work better," part of us "all" are the businesses that are regulated, and those businesses work very hard to make things "work better" for them. And still many of the regulations accomplish valuable public purposes in spite of the faults.

That is true. And i have no problems with state regulations. I think that is where it needs to stay.

We need to get back to more state-level things and start weaning the feds off of their control. :) LOL! Like that's gonna happen........

I will be curious to see how you like your Sequoyah. I looked very hard at that one before buying the CB e-classic. The 3300 was just way too big for heating my house. I spoke with a dealer and he ultimately agreed with me, but with a big heat load it looks like a good and simple rig. I wish their smaller one would have been certified as I may very well have gone with that one.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.