Pulled the trigger on an F600 today....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

remkel

Minister of Fire
Jan 21, 2010
Southwest NH
Went to the local stove shop today and pulled the trigger on a new Jotul F600. Walking in I was certain that it was what I wanted, walking out I immediately began to think "Maybe I should have gone with something else". Ultimately I am certain about my purchase, but there is so much information going through one's head during these purchases leaving a lot of room for second guessing.

Well, too late now. Three weeks from now she will be in my basement and I will no longer have to go to the classic stove forum to find advice on the old vigilant.

Remkel said:
Went to the local stove shop today and pulled the trigger on a new Jotul F600. Walking in I was certain that it was what I wanted, walking out I immediately began to think "Maybe I should have gone with something else". Ultimately I am certain about my purchase, but there is so much information going through one's head during these purchases leaving a lot of room for second guessing.

Well, too late now. Three weeks from now she will be in my basement and I will no longer have to go to the classic stove forum to find advice on the old vigilant.

I just busted out laughing as I did the same thing with my stove that I just bought and I know that feeling all to well :lol:
It will be a learning curve for a while so just make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get used to it as you have had a lot of years to get to know your other stove. Having said all that congratulation on the new stove! I looked at Jotul pretty hard when I was looking and they seem like very well built and nice looking. It will be good to hear your thoughts on it this fall.

certified106 said:
Remkel said:

I just busted out laughing as I did the same thing with my stove that I just bought and I know that feeling all to well :lol:
It will be a learning curve for a while so just make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get used to it as you have had a lot of years to get to know your other stove. Having said all that congratulation on the new stove! I looked at Jotul pretty hard when I was looking and they seem like very well built and nice looking. It will be good to hear your thoughts on it this fall.

Glad to know I am not alone in this. :)

I looked at the alderlea, along with the summit, but ultimately felt I needed a big radiating stove as opposed to convection as it is going to be in my basement. I look forward to the trials and tribulations associated with learning a new stove and will be certain to keep everyone posted on the installation and progress. First things first- I have to schedule the new liner installation in my chimney.

It's not too late to look at the new cast iron Blaze King. Looks just like the f600 but 24 hour burn times. Comes with an egg stretcher

Remkel said:
certified106 said:
Remkel said:

I looked at the alderlea, along with the summit, but ultimately felt I needed a big radiating stove as opposed to convection as it is going to be in my basement. I look forward to the trials and tribulations associated with learning a new stove and will be certain to keep everyone posted on the installation and progress. First things first- I have to schedule the new liner installation in my chimney.

Congratulations, that's a great heater. If the basement is mostly unoccupied, a convective stove usually works very well. If the basement is often occupied and the direct radiation of heat from the stove is appreciated, then a radiant stove is a good choice. If the basement is uninsulated, then all bets are off. :smirk:

funny, Franks.....made me look though- cruel joke on someone who is so internally conflicted....

Nice Remi! That stove was my second choice - I'm sure it will serve you well. Congrats! Cheers!

Franks said:
It's not too late to look at the new cast iron Blaze King. Looks just like the f600 but 24 hour burn times. Comes with an egg stretcher
When I read the first part of this post I started getting upset thinking why didn't someone tell me about this........and then I got to the egg stretcher part hahaha :lol:

BeGreen said:
Remkel said:
certified106 said:
Remkel said:

Congratulations, that's a great heater. If the basement is mostly unoccupied, a convective stove usually works very well. If the basement is often occupied and the direct radiation of heat from the stove is appreciated, then a radiant stove is a good choice. If the basement is uninsulated, then all bets are off. :smirk:

1- Basement is insulated, so I am laying my chips on the table
2- Radiant heater seems to work well- Vigilant did a good job, think moving to a larger stove will help get just over the hump
3- Planning on building a wall to divide the basement, reducing the amount of full heating down there in 1/2 and hopefully forcing some more heat upstairs. Not going to insulate this wall so heat will still get to the other side of the basement
4- Looking forward to getting this girl fired up!

Sorry folks, couldnt help it. You got a hell of a stove there with the F600. Enjoy it and let us know how ya like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.