Pulling the Trigger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andyrlee

Oct 19, 2009
Northern WI
After much thought and getting great advice on this forum, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Stihl MS 260 Pro.

Should I be expecting to have accessories thrown in on the deal, money off the saw, money off accessories?

Looks like the dealers are asking $499 with a 16 inch bar.

Thanks.

wow I payed 430.00 bucks for one in May prices went up on them. Depending on what was you have I like the 361 so much better and only 100.00 bucks more.

It never hurts to ask for them to throw in a few extras. I paid $460 w/ 16" bar this past August. The only extra my dealer threw in was a Stihl hat which I don't like how it fits. It's a great, reliable saw in the 50cc class, albeit not the hot rod the 346xp is.

Depending on what and how much you are cutting, I agree w/ Jay the 361 is a lot more saw for another hundred clams or so.

you can always ask them to saw the 16" bar wit ha 20" for you

wow I payed 430.00 bucks for one in May prices went up on them. Depending on what was you have I like the 361 so much better and only 100.00 bucks more.

So are you saying you were able to get a 361 for 530 brand new?

Also, the prices for the 260 Pro that have been quoted in this thread, are they negotiated or are they the prices that are right in the showroom?

I was thinking 260 Pro cause it will be the only saw that I'll have for felling, bucking, and limbing.

I will be dealing with around 4 cord a year.

andyrlee said:

Also, the prices for the 260 Pro that have been quoted in this thread, are they negotiated or are they the prices that are right in the showroom?

I was thinking 260 Pro cause it will be the only saw that I'll have for felling, bucking, and limbing.

I normally will get 10 percent off at the stihl dealer. I also think that 361 is well worth another 100.00. And yes on the 530.00 I traded the 260 in on the 361 cost another 140.00 but also got files and pair of the anti-vibe gloves.

I just ask them how much to get this out the door today and they will figure it out on the calculator and take 10 percent off.(atleast on my last 2 saws) ms 310 another good saw I would keep in mind as well.

I've got both saws, the 361 and the 260 (mine is an 026-pro). If you're doing 4 cords a year the 260 is the saw you want. The only reason you might want the larger saw is if most of your wood is donated to you and you don't want to have to pass by large rounds. The 361 is a wonderful saw but if you don't need on for more or less constant use its more weight than you want and more power than you need - and we haven't even mentioned the cost difference.

As for the cost I couldn't advise you, its been so long since I got mine that I don't remember what I paid for it.

Adders? Here is what I'd ask for, and I'd bet they will do it for you. Have them put on a 3/8" chain/bar/sprocket rather than a .325. It will go longer between needing sharpenings.

Kong said:
I've got both saws, the 361 and the 260 (mine is an 026-pro). If you're doing 4 cords a year the 260 is the saw you want. The only reason you might want the larger saw is if most of your wood is donated to you and you don't want to have to pass by large rounds. The 361 is a wonderful saw but if you don't need on for more or less constant use its more weight than you want and more power than you need - and we haven't even mentioned the cost difference.

As for the cost I couldn't advise you, its been so long since I got mine that I don't remember what I paid for it.

Adders? Here is what I'd ask for, and I'd bet they will do it for you. Have them put on a 3/8" chain/bar/sprocket rather than a .325. It will go longer between needing sharpenings.

you must have a hot running 026 because the new 260 pro cant run 3/8 worth a crap.

Andy,
I just bought an MS361 with 18" bar, 2-18" RSC chains, an extra 16" bar and RSC chain (smokinjay didn't like my bar size choices!), a gallon of bar oil, and 6-pack of 2-stroke oil for $640 out the door. The saw itself was $599, so that should give you an idea of what you might see.

As for the 260 vs. 361: I had the MS250, which is (I know, I know) not pro, but only a few CC's less than the 260. It's a fine size, and light, but I wanted a bit more oomph for larger rounds, especially where I'm scrounging.

Good luck; from what I've seen and read, you can't lose with either.

S

Folks,

I have had a Stihl 36, later 360 for probably twenty couple years, run over by truck once, (with the engine bolted on a parted out frame or chassis (unsure what it is called). My son put himself through college as a chain saw carver (with a lot of chain twisting), largely with this saw. It has caught, limbed and bucked countless cords. Carving requires a lot of overhead, and oddly positioned cutting. The nonadjustable oiler has always worked well. It has never failed to start, or run well when adjusted (easy). I used Stihl oil throughout. Back then it cost $360, I thought that was how they determined the model number.

Good grief. I was imagining carving overhead with a huge 034 sized monster. They carve with saws out east? I thought only us left coasters did that.

andyrlee said:

List price is under $600 for a 361 with a 16" bar here.

If you're not stuck on a Stihl you might look at a Husky 346XP which is a much better saw than the 260 in regards to its balance, power and ability to port the saw if you are so inclined. Pretty much everyone at Arboristsite who has tried both will recommend the 346XP over the 260.

TMonter said:
If you're not stuck on a Stihl you might look at a Husky 346XP which is a much better saw than the 260 in regards to its balance, power and ability to port the saw if you are so inclined. Pretty much everyone at Arboristsite who has tried both will recommend the 346XP over the 260.

+1

All I have to say is my head is spinning!

Now I am seriously considering the Husky 346xp.

Any other comments other than flip a coin.

I'll be glad when Monday comes so I can make decision and move on.

Thanks

It would be a great saw and would most likely serve you well for the size trees you have up north. And, it will give you an excuse to get a 7900 in a few years. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.