Quad 1200 squeal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

malhaley

Jan 21, 2012
eastern ct
I have a Quadrafire 1200 insert. Which I've had for 3 years. Recently upon start up there is a squeal that seems to be coming from the lower left of the unit. It seems to be in the area of the blower. It lasts for about 30 seconds and then stops. Anyone have any idea what could be the problem and the fix?

Quadrafire 1200i insert

Sounds like the exhaust blower. Make sure the outside side curtain door is not rubbing against the end part of the blower. Also, as the unit heats up sometime the curtain doors or the lid will vibrate and go away as it heats. If that does not work then when was the last time the blower was taken out and cleaned??? Sounds like it might be a bearing problem and if so the unit is sealed and has no place for lubricant. You can try a little graphite spray and it might work its way in there. FIRST THING to do is CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN and see if that stops it.

mralias said:
Sounds like the exhaust blower. Make sure the outside side curtain door is not rubbing against the end part of the blower. Also, as the unit heats up sometime the curtain doors or the lid will vibrate and go away as it heats. If that does not work then when was the last time the blower was taken out and cleaned??? Sounds like it might be a bearing problem and if so the unit is sealed and has no place for lubricant. You can try a little graphite spray and it might work its way in there. FIRST THING to do is CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN and see if that stops it.

X2... Sounds like a bearing. Unit should be removed and if possible, try and put some 3-in-1 oil (blue can) on the bearing. I do this a couple times a year. Only a little can get in there. But it cant hurt.....

Also, someone stated that if you had a hypodermic needle, you could place the oil inside the bearing this way...

I agree with above poster.... Sounds like a bearing. If the unit has never been removed, its in need for a service (for sure).

Many of these blowers have sheilded bearings not sealed bearings. So if you drip some oil on them it does work its way into them. The sheilds are to keep the big stuff out but thin oil will weep right in. Usually if you investigate you can see the sheilds(steel) if you see rubber(black) they have the seased bearings. You can still get oil in them but it would be as dex said. A syringe with a needle. On the inner race of the bearing. Lift the seal lip with the needle tip and inject some lub in there.

Motors with bushings usually have oil ports to get oil to the bushings.

The damage may be already done, But getting some lube in there will extend its life a bit until you can score the replacement part! Works for me.

I didn't know the unit could be taken out and cleaned. I am not mechanically minded and there are no instructions in the owners manual about this. Where would I get instructions? I appreciate the help I've gotten.

To remove the Combustion blower...

1st make sure you have a replacement gasket on hand.
2nd turn off the power (unplug stove from wall)
3rd unplug 2 spade connectors going to combustion (exhaust) blower
4th remove the 6 little screws around the circumference of the blower plate
5th carefully pull blowet assembly out (taking care not to damage fins/blades on blower
6th take a small torx bit and remove blade/fins (if you dont remove, then)
7th take a small wire brush (size of a tooth brush) and carefully remove all build up on the blades (not bending) and scrape under the fins (if you didnt remove from shaft).
8th, some people spray down the blades with a Graphite spray, to reduce accumulation after reinstalled.
9th Add some oil to the bearing at the back and front of the motor. You can see where the bearings are. Some gets in and it does help.

Install new gasket, put screws back in, plug the spade connectors back in, plug unit in.
This should be done at least once yearly. Some do it more often. I normally do it twice. Once in the middle of season and then for the Big Spring Cleaning.

Here is my Spring Cleaning from the end of last season

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/75103/

It can be taken out and cleaned. It requires unplugging the stove, moving the insert out enough to unplug the two wires that connect it to the stove. Then remove the approximately 6 sheet metal screws that hold the blower into the housing and separate at the gasket. (not real easy to get at). If you have never done it before, chances are you will have to replace the gasket unless you are real careful not to damage it. Most of the time they just fall apart. Once the blower is out you can clean it right up. Be careful not to bend the fan blades when cleaning. I use a soft toothbrush and blown air from a compressor. The other suggestions about lube are good ideas but use very little. The blow is not real cheap to replace. Somewhere around $250. If this sounds confusing you may want to call someone in for service. The manual calls for cleaning the blower at least once a year.

When was the last time you cleaned your flue?

Status
Not open for further replies.