Quad castile Installation Corner or wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peirhead

Feeling the Heat
Aug 8, 2008
PEI Canada
I am considering installation locations in my family room for a Quadra-Fire Castile...We slightly prefer a corner install but I am thinking that maintenance on the unit would be considerably easier with an install in the middle of the wall....Any of you castile (Freestanding) owners care to give me some sage advice on this??

It sounds like you have 2 good options, either the corner install or flat against another wall. I would guess that a good part of your decision depends on asthetics and functionality, but also how/where it is going to be vented. As long as you can vent it either through the wall or ceiling well enough, either way would be a good choice.

If you look at my picture below, you'll see that I recently did a full wall install. I also doubled every clearance requirement, 6" between the vent pipe and wall, 4" on either side for the hearth (almost 10" in front of the door glass) and 2" where the pipe went through the ceiling and roof. Always better to be safe then sorry.

Yes, a corner install would make it a bit more difficult to service/maintain, but not impossible. You can also increase the distance from the corner 6" to 12" if you have the room, and that should provide you with plenty of room. If you have the muscle, put the stove into the corner to actually "see" the room you have. You may find that it's not that bad.

Either way, be sure to post pics! Congrats on your Castile!

Steve

Attachments

• Stove32s.jpg
    Stove32s.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 291
The install will be against an outside wall (whether corner or not) I am planning a 36" x 36" base of some kind of ceramic tile under the stove..pad dimensions will be slightly different if I go with the corner. I like the idea of somewhat oversizing the base!

Aesthetically we are about even on placement whether corner or center of the wall....more of a discussion item now is whether to put the stovepipe riser inside or outside..our dealer says it needs a 5 foot rise so the options are out the back of the stove then up 5 feet then through the wall, or out the back of the stove through the wall then up 5 ft.....again is there any functional reason to choose one over the other or is it also just aesthetics?

well, I'm doing a similar corner install, and I'll be going "out", then up, so the cleanout tee can be on the outside of the house, easily accessible. if you go "up", then "out", the tee will be hard to access. You also might need to have the stove out further from the wall, depending on where the exhaust outlet is on the stove.

Thanks Chuck.... I forgot about cleaning the flue! I am sure there would be less mess doing most of that outside... So I am now leaning towards the center of the wall location...I think this will make maintenance easier too..(make my Service Tech happy!)

Status
Not open for further replies.